On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 10:58:35AM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:
>
> > Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> wrote:

> > > Not really.
> > > Pretending the extension is just another description-stmt
> > > does not really fix anything.
> > >
> > > A real YANG statement like config-stmt or a new statement
> > > called ephemeral-stmt can be modified with refine-stmt
> > > or deviate-stmt.   This can never happen for
> > > an external statement.
> >
> > There are two separate issues here:
> >
> > 1) It seems we are in agreement that if a model uses an extension
> >    statement, it is normative (like ietf-system's usage of nacm:*).
> >
> >    Should we somehow clarify this in 6020bis?
> >

> No -- I agree that was the intent, but it is not achievable
> because tools MAY ignore extensions.

Why do we keep on confusing what a statement in a module means and
what a tool is required to do? If I decorate a definition with
nacm:default-deny-write, then I assume that an implementation will
implement the semantics associated with nacm:default-deny-write. If
this would not be the case, then why did we define this at all?  It
does not matter whether a tool knows how to implement
nacm:default-deny-write or whether this must be coded by a human.

Sorry for repeating myself.