I like the idea of relocatable modules.  It is almost to say everything defined
by the IETF should be a grouping, allowing others to assemble the pieces as
they see fit.  I do not think it makes sense for IETF to define an uber
structure, especially using a language mandating forever backwards
compatibility...

How to support logical/virtual systems is a bigger discussion.   Certainly
there is a huge data model overlap between the host system and the logical
systems, but some data may only exist in the host system and some data may only
exist in a logical system.  Making things more interesting, some data in the
host system (e.g., an interface) can be exported to a logical system as a
read-only value.   The way I solved this in another life was using conditional
enablement [1] on a shared data model to indicate the applicability of nodes in
a context.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kwatsen-conditional-enablement-00

Kent, as a contributor