A difficulty I have with the current wording is that it doesn't point
out the crucial fact about leafref that the XPath expression can only
select elements that are instantiations of one particular data node.  I
don't know XPath, but it seems that that is not a general property of
XPath expressions, you seem to be able to write XPath expressions that
select heterogenous groups of elements.  So it's worth pointing out that
the allowed XPath expressions can't do that, and that is because of the
restriction that the expression must match path-arg.

Perhaps my problem is that XPath is almost always used in this style,
and so the limitations in leafref aren't anything unusual.

Dale