Lou

By now, 17th June, I see solid support for one option but only see
comments from a somewhat small number of participants

The majority of the authors of the 172 YANG files I have in an
archive are probably unaware of this discussion and yet some at least
will be affected.  What concerns me is that history might be repeating
itself.  In a sense, this discussion is about the original proposals for
NETCONF and YANG not meeting current requirements which
may be because there has mostly been a limited number of
participants in netmod discussions.

I was struck by Dale's recent, brilliant review of 6020bis because it
came from a fresh angle and brought up nagging concerns that I had had
but had not been able to articulate.  With a wider audience, similar
comments might have been made much earlier to the advantage
of YANG (perhaps even about RFC6020).

In the same vein, there is NETCONF.  Juergen's I-D, which I see finding
favour, could be said to cut the ground from under NETCONF (well, I
would).  RFC6241 says
" Configuration data is the set of writable data that is required to
   transform a system from its initial default state into its current
   state.  State data is the additional data on a system that is not
   configuration data such as read-only status information and collected
   statistics.  "

The proposed 'intended' in the I-D is (ct, ro).  It is ct, configuration
true, so it is configuration data.  It is ro, read only, so it is
clearly not
configuration data.  Without changing RFC6241, I cannot reconcile this.

So I see RFC6241 being changed; can anyone reading the RFC understand it
any more?  And yet the I-D makes no mention of this change to
NETCONF nor have I seen any discussion on the netconf list.

Stimulated by posts to the I2RS list, perhaps also a trigger for
Juergen's I-D, I wrote up my own summary of the current state of
datastores but I called it draft-tp-netconf-datastore because I see
NETCONF
currently telling us almost all that we know about datastores; YANG 1.0
adds very little.  For me, NETCONF should be the starting point.

Tom Petch