Lou

You say below
"
> It's just a ro version/view of the config data.  I'm not sure why this
> is problematic.  Perhaps I'm just missing something.
"

I see it as a fundamental change (to NETCONF).  Tracking other lists
(e.g.I2RS) I repeatedly get the sense that they have not grasped what
configuration data is (editable, potential persistent but a minute
fraction of what a box needs to operate), and by contrast what is state.
I see some, if not many, of Juergen's posts to that list as reflecting
that such as
"I have no clue what the above sentence is trying to say. Please try to
use YANG terminology. "

Every time I read 'ephemeral state' I think the same; state is
ephemeral, the phrase does not convey any meaning (except that the user
does not understand what configuration is).

And this comes mostly from RFC6241 not from RFC6020.

So, I see a strong preference for Option B which is all very logical, as
Acee points out.  But Option B I see as being a fundamental change to
RFC6241, so if the netmod WG takes that decision, then it is stamping on
the netconf WG.  Perhaps the WG should be merged, now that 6020bis is on
its way, but for the moment, I believe that changes to NETCONF need the
consensus of  the NETCONF WG.

Tom Petch