On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 09:29:23AM +0000, Sterne, Jason (Nokia - CA/Ottawa)
wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> The distinction between dynamic & learned origin may be a bit confusing (and
> could be a grey zone in some cases).  We likely need further clarification
> around this in the draft (maybe a dedicated section in the doc, further
> examples, and ideas of how to decide whether something is dynamic vs
> learned).  Perhaps another useful differentiation is that ‘dynamic’ comes
> from a dynamic datastore while ‘learned’ does not have a datastore associated
> with it ?  Or does dynamic data sometimes not come from a datastore ?

The text in the I-D says

   o  dynamic: represents data provided by a dynamic datastore.

   o  learned: represents configuration that has been learned via
      protocol interactions with other systems, including protocols such
      as link-layer negotiations, routing protocols, DHCP, etc.

and

     identity dynamic {
       base origin;
       description
         "Denotes data from a dynamic datastore.";
     }

     identity learned {
       base origin;
       description
         "Denotes configuration learned from protocol interactions with
          other devices, instead of via the intended configuration
          datastore or any dynamic datastore.

          Examples of protocols that provide learned configuration
          include link-layer negotiations, routing protocols, and
          DHCP.";
     }

Is this text unclear?

/js

PS: We consider to change 'configuration' to 'data' in the definition
    of 'learned', i.e., 'represents data that has been learned...' and
    'Denotes data learned from..."