On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 8:00 AM Ladislav Lhotka <lho...@nic.cz> wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-12-19 at 07:52 +0000, Schönwälder, Jürgen wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 08:23:27AM +0100, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
> > > I don't see how YANG syntax defines this. If a module imports
> ietf-netconf-
> > > acm, it could be because
> > >
> > > - it just uses a typedef, such as "node-instance-identifier", and then
> > >   ietf-netconf-acm needn't be implemented (but can be),
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > - it augments ietf-netconf-acm, which makes sense only if the latter
> > >   module is implemented.
> > >
> > > It it the YANG library that specifies whether a module is implemented
> or
> > > not, but the "import" statement itself doesn't tell you anything.
> > >

> > Can we not assume that an implementor will figure out the difference?
>
> An implementor should be able to figure it out, but other potential module
> users
> may not. For example, if somebody is evaluating whether to use a module for
> their device or not, it is important to know that NACM has to be
> implemented (or
> not).

You seem to be talking about a new conformance documentation procedure
that attempts to solve the problem "to use modules A, B, and C together
to achieve some functionality X, all these conditions need to be met".
(Sounds more like a problem for YANG Packages to solve)

IMO this is a much harder problem than something that can be solved
with extra description-stmt text. The writer is likely to get it wrong or
not
keep it up to date, so a tool to analyze the file seems like a better
solution.

Lada

Andy