Rob,

I think there are two related issues here:

a) If we need normalized strings (to avoid comparison suprises), we
   should have a common type for them; rfc6991-bis would be a proper
   home. I am _not_ saying we should delay the tags document for this,
   but we should think about providing a solution that can be easily
   reused. Right now, we often use strings as part of keys, which can
   lead to comparison issues.

b) It seems that normalized strings only solve part of the problem. If
   an organization creates names for 'things', the organization likely
   wants to further restrict the format of these names to something
   sensible to avoid fun with different kinds of hyphens or emojis or
   ... So while creative unicode characters may technically work,
   there will likely be good reasons to avoid some of them. (There are
   reasons why we have coding styles for most programming languages.)
   These rules may, however, differ between organizations.

We should not confuse a) and b). If IANA needs additional guidelines
for tags (their coding style for tags), then we should provide these
guidelines, i.e., this is a type b) action. The type a) action is
needed to technically ensure that comparisons do not lead to
surprises. But a) won't be an answer for all type b) issues. Of
course, we could give IANA a 'coding style' that avoids any
normalization issues. This would make IANA assigned tags safe but
would not avoid comparison surprises for other sources of tags.

/js