Hi,

We’ve been having discussions on the impact of changing an import statement and
would like to get thoughts from the WG.

Consider module A which imports module B.

  1.  Module A revision 1.0.0 has “revision-or-derived 1.0.0” for import of
module B.
import moduleB {
  rev:revision-or-derived 1.0.0;
}
  2.  An update to module A so that it needs to import at least 2.0.0 of module
import moduleB {
  rev:revision-or-derived 2.0.0;
}

When module’s A import is updated in step b, we’ve discussed 3 options:

  1.  Always consider the change as BC (new revision 1.1.0 for module A) and
let the client figure out the impact on its use of module A
  2.  Always consider the change as NBC (new revision 2.0.0 for module A, tag
the import as NBC using nbc-change extension) and let the client figure out the
impact on its use of module A
  3.  Handle this conditionally. So if the impact on module A is NBC (depending
on whether module A’s namespace has been impacted in NBC way),  do as in 2
(this can have ripple effect on importing module hierarchy, e.g. module C uses
module A, module D uses module C etc). If the impact on module A is BC, do as
in 1

Regards,
Reshad.