On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 7:49 PM, Daniel Borkmann <borkm...@iogearbox.net> wrote:
> Hi Vadim,
>
> thanks for looking into this, appreciate it!
>
> On 02/20/2016 03:28 PM, Vadim Kochan wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 1:25 AM, Vadim Kochan <vadi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried to come up with visual separating of printed flows as currently
>>> its not easy to identify separate flow entry, so I did some changes and
>>> I am not sure if it looks good so I atached the screenshot.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>

>> I attached another version of odd & even flows entries style, here I
>> used cyan & white colors and it seem looks
>> better as here is no such contrast like in case with black & white
>> background colors (like in previous example),
>> also here 'country' color changed to magenta as it looks better on
>> white & cyan background colors.
>

> Not particularly a fan of these background colors, but I understand
> you'd like to improve usability on this. How about making flowtop
> look and navigation more like top or htop? Perhaps some of this info
> can be collapsed?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Well, if to follow these *top-like tools then we need to print less
info. Curently we print:

    1) process name
    2) flow state
    3) application proto name
    4) duration time
    5) src/dst hostname
    6) geo info
    7) pkts/bytes stats (counters & rate)

We can have 2 modes for flows visualization:

    1) Short mode (1 row per entry) (default):
         a) process name
         b) flow state (but with shortest names)
         c) application proto name
         d) src/dst info hostnames (or only dst with country if it feets)
         e) mixed stats

    2) Extended mode, like in current implementation
        (but maybe be changed to color scheme which I sent in previous example).

Also there might be hot-keys to
    1) expand 1-row entry into 3-row mode
    2) switch between 1- & 3- row mode for all entries.

What do you think ?