On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 01:15:26PM +0000, Jim Nagel wrote:
> A typical item within this folder is filetyped as text but contains
> gobbledygook.

"Text" is the default file type for files created using UnixLib.  Given
these files are not meant to be consumed by humans, I don't see a
problem there.

(The actual gobbledydook is the cached data and headers.)

> What is supposed to control expiry?  Can't find anything about expiry
> within the !Cache application itself.

!Cache is not NetSurf-specific.  The control settings are in each
application that uses it.

>    Ah, Netsurf choices--cache.  Disc cache size is set at 1024M (which
> I presume is meant as a max), and expiry at 28 days.  Those figures
> seem to be defaults, because I have never altered them.
>
> Don't recall any discussion or explanation when Netsurf adopted !Cache
> -- when was that?  Maybe it happened while I was away and I missed it.

It happened when Vince implemented disc caching :)  This was some time
ago, perhaps even before our last stable release.  If that's the case,
the last release announcement would have included a mention.  If it
isn't, then it'll be mentioned via version control for our test builds.

> !Cache, according to its helpfile, was written by Adam Richardson
> ("Snowstone") in 2007.  The current version 1.13 on his website has a
> runfile dated 2007-june-14.  The runfile of my active copy in Boot
> Resources (which presumably came with a recent-ish version of Netsurf
> inside its usual boot-update file) is dated 2014-09-16, but !Sidediff
> shows it is identical to the 2007 runfile.

Time stamps on files are advisory, not gospel. :)  The 2014-09-16 is
probably when you merged your first build of NetSurf that included it.

B.