In message <5479b57ad5bbai...@argonet.co.uk>
 on 21 Dec 2014 Brian <bbai...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <f74fa67954.andrew-...@waitrose.com>,
>    Andrew Pinder <andrew.pin...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <54797458f6bbai...@argonet.co.uk>
>>  on 21 Dec 2014 Brian <bbai...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> NetSurf has very recently started scanning fonts during loading. This
>>> hasn't happened for ages. Is this a glitch, perhaps, or revised
>>> behaviour?

>> I think a relevant factor may be the number of fonts you have
>> installed.  Quite a while ago I installed the EFF collection of fonts
>> on my Iyonix.  Ever since then whenever !NetSurf loads it displays a
>> window showing progress on scanning fonts.  It always appears to stick
>> briefly when scanning Swz.narrow and then completes  I can't see
>> anything about that font to know why it takes longer to scan.  When I
>> bought this ARMini I copied the fonts across and have always had the
>> same behaviour.

>> So, having read the other responses, I suspect that if you just have
>> the original fonts supplied installed then the scanning of them will
>> normally be so quick that you don't notice it.  So maybe a recent
>> change slowed that down.

> Please read elsewhere in the thread. No recent changes have been made and
> in any event very few fonts have been installed originally, as a matter of
> principle, to avoid the kind of issues that you mention. Previous to the
> issue that I reported, following any initial scan, ages ago, when the scan
> window was clearly visible and quite slow, if there are subsequent scans
> then they are just so fast that no window is visible that I am aware of,
> just scrolling of the hourglass momentarily.

> So I have no explanation as to why scanning should become clearly visible
> of late and that is no longer so following a NetSurf update!?!

> Thanks for your comment anyway.

http://ci.netsurf-browser.org/builds/ says
"Notice:
"At any given time these builds may be broken, unstable, have verbose
logging enabled, or exhibit any other undesirable behaviour."

I suspect that one of the NetSurf developers made a change that had
the undesirable side-effect of slowing down font scanning and has now
made another change that speeds it up again :-)

Regards

Andrew

--
Andrew Pinder