Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:14:49 +0700
From: "Ronald C.Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Port rates versus connect rates


My reply to Walter Scott's reply was rejected by my ISP due to a glitch 
in the header of my reply.  

Walter and I were really saying the same thing, though in different 
ways.  The fact is that my experience has been pretty much the same.  I 
have had success with a 14.4 external modem attached to a serial port 
with a 16450 UART, but that modem still did not work as well as an 
internal modem that could emulate a 16550AF UART.

With Net-Tamer, I found it necessary to install a serial card with a 
16550AF UART in order to use an external 56k modem.  That's not 
surprising, since I also wanted to use a port rate of 115200 with that 
modem.  

ATZ will do something with every modem I've ever heard of, too.  It will 
reset the modem and load a stored configuration.  

On an old AT&T Paradyne Dataport that I have, ATZ0 will load the stored 
profile from user 0 into the active profile.  ATZ1 does the same for the 
stored profile from user 1.  ATZ (or ATZ3) performs a reset and loads 
the "storage area specified by the &Y command into Active."

This latter way in which ATZ works may be _similar_ to what happens with 
some new USR modems (or maybe it was also the way USR modems have 
behaved in the past).  I've heard that you can't tell which profile will 
be loaded by ATZ on a USR, but maybe that's only because it will load 
whatever is specified as the "power-up" configuration.  That might be 
either user 0 or user 1, I guess, since it can be specified using the 
&Yn command (at least it can on the Paradyne).

BTW, my (relatively) new Zoom 2949L 56k external modem doesn't have a 
"user 1" profile.  There's just one stored profile.  I didn't know that 
until I tried to store a second profile using AT&W1.  That command gives 
an "ERROR" and doesn't work.

Ronald Dailey



-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to