Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 00:08:79 -600
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ZOOM & USR Courier Test Results!
Hello, everyone!
After some Internet research and careful testing, not only
did I finally get the USR Courier HST (dual standard) to work
properly, but I got it to work somewhat better than the ZOOM
v.32/v.42bis modem. Guess which one won the "beauty contest"? ;)
Yes, the USR Courier!
Here's some of the test results:
The ZOOM and Courier both downloaded (in text mode) the www.yahoo.com
site in about 25 to 30 seconds, consistantly with Net-Tamer on my
PC/XT; the yahoo site about 15k. Of course, cps rates vary like
anything else because of Internet traffic variables, etc..
ZOOM operated at its best in 9600 bps mode with the following string:
AT&F&C1&D3S7=30S36=7^MATM0^M (had to silence it -- scares my parrrot!)
The USR Courier HST used the following string, and although I set
Net-Tamer at 9600 with this string, upon logging on, it reports
"CONNECT 2400 / ARQ" -- yet the performance is the same or better
than the ZOOM:
AT&FB0X4&A2&C1&D2&M1&H1&K1&B1 (this modem is silenced manually -- nice!)
The Courier connects more quickly and smoothly than the ZOOM, has that
nice volume control knob, good looks <g>, and seems more authentic for
use with this PC/XT than the ZOOM. I like both of these modems, but
I think the Courier/PC/XT is more of an appropriate age/value match.
The PC/XT (back in 1983) listed at over $7500, by the way, and this
Courier was sold for between $500 and $700, or more. I have them now
because many folks consider them worthless trash!
Thank you for any further comments or any further suggestions!
And thank you all for your help!
Jerry >>>> ZOOM 9600 bps V.42bis | IBM PC/XT & PC Color Display <<<<
>>>>> PC DOS 3.3 & WordStar 3.30p | 20 MB HDD & 360K FDD <<<<<
-*- Nothing's difficult after you've mastered it.
Net-Tamer V 1.11.2X - Registered
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************