Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:33:59 -0500
From: Jeff Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nt and security

Hi Renaldo,

At 01:54 AM 12/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I need to commuunicate with my security system at my small business, can I
>use Nt to do this or is there a nother comunication program that I can use
>in DOS?

If you're doing alarm panel programming you'll probably need a proprietary 
program
from the manufacturer. But if you just need a dumb terminal program you 
have lots
of solutions there. I used one called "BBS Caller" when I was calling the 
Bulletin
Board systems years ago. Net_Tamer can act as a dumb terminal also.

Of course if the Security equipment is PC based and Internet connected (which I
doubt it is) you could most likely telnet into the system. Now if it's 
connected to
the site Lan, has a IP address, runs a telnet daemon, and you can make a PPP
connection to the lan you could use telnet to get to it.

If you're trying to receive alarm notifications from the security system, 
you'd need
a front door program to answer the phone through a modem. Then you'd need to
gather the incoming info (hopefully in ASCII or a well known data format 
(not dtmf))
then pass that to a program to decode it and show the data on screen.

If you need something like the above, you might be able to hack something 
together
with a front door capable program like BG-Fax and some batch file programming
using 4-dos. Q-basic might also help if the processing is more than 4dos 
could do.

Hope this helps,


Jeff Hawkins
---
Monster Highway Information Systems
http://www.monsterhighway.com



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to