Oh shoot.

For what it’s worth, Barlow lived more in most days than the majority of
people live in a year or a lifetime.

He was *finally* working on the book that Penguin contracted him to write back
in the late 1980’s about the emerging culture of cyberspace. I sure hope he
got enough done for it to be edited and published.

I always felt like his Declaration of Independence of Cyberspace misrepresented
his real thinking about the relationship of law, order, business, and cyber
culture. Yes, it had a libertarian, anti-government stance. But that was a very
anti-government moment, as far as the net was concerned. They were arresting
hackers (Operation SunDevil) and censoring content (Computer Decency Act). Of
course, by working to make the net a government-free zone, this approach just
opened it to the corporations who poured in. But I think it was hard to see
that coming, particularly for the early libertarians of the net, who thought
small and local business would be favored in such a seemingly a bottom-up,
decentralized environment.

----------

Douglas Rushkoff
http://rushkoff.com <http://rushkoff.com/>
•Founder, Laboratory for Digital Humanism
•Professor of Media Theory and Digital Economics, CUNY/Queens
•Fellow, Institute for the Future

Throwing Rocks at the Google Bus
<https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781617230172> my new book on what went wrong
in the digital economy and how to fix it.
Team Human <http://teamhuman.fm/> - my weekly podcast promoting human
intervention in the machine

Sign up for RushkoffMail <http://www.rushkoff.com/subscribe/> to get updates
and newest writing