Many thanks Brian and Patrice… When Johnson came on TV as head of state and did
not advise but ‘instructed’ me, my family and the rest of the country to ‘lock
down’ I experienced the actual fact and reality of state power as never before.
Much as I despise Johnson and all his works I supported this use of state power
as a uniquely powerful means of supporting the value of mutual dependency over
the value of individual freedom, (this was very difficult for Johnson as a
libertarian Tory as we now realise in the wake of partygate). A new and intense
awareness of mutual dependency and the collective agency of which we are
capable was the great revelation of the pandemic and our only hope of survival.

But the debate over state power and where we might seek to draw the line goes
well beyond traji/comic Johnson sideshow. Anyone claiming, as Patrice, does
that the state is merely an impotent  “conveyer belt” steered by corporate
forces has to explain the effectiveness of Xi Jinping’s Hobbesian Chinese state
in reigning in their own corporate giants. The last 18 months has seen Xi
cracking the whip and imprisoning (and doing anything else required) to
re-assert state sovereignty over corporate hubris. This even extends to
legislating time allowed to kids for gaming not to mention tinkering with the
education policy as Xi has decided that the tech and finance sectors are
sucking too many talented graduates away from more tangible forms of
manufacturing.

Some European/western political actors are looking with envy at the perceived
effectiveness of the Chinese (and other proactive Sth East Asian states) in
their forthright nation-wide actions in containing Covid. The likelihood is
that this is just a foretaste of an increasingly loud debate over the limits
and role state power will play as the climate crunch really starts to bite.
This is when we will return to the earlier postings on this thread that spoke
about the science wars.

David Garcia