Good morning, Niels,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 08:46:36AM +0200, Niels Möller wrote:
> > pgp_put_public_rsa_key seems to throw an assertion error:
> 
> Note that the pgp functions in Nettle are undocumented and unfinished.

Yeah, I noticed that in the source; but that never stoped me before! :)

> Cool that anybody else is having a look at them.

Yeah! I've been a bit keen to learn a bit more about PGP in general, so
I figured I'd play around. Lo and behold I get the chance to read some
spec as well.

> > Can someone who groks the code confirm this?
> 
> Can't say I really grok the code either, I wrote those functions back in
> 2007... But it looks fishy to me with two calls to pgp_put_header, using
> the same tag value PGP_TAG_PUBLIC_KEY.

Yeah, to me as well.

> If you have read the spec
> recently, is there any way that could be correct?

I don't know yet. It seems like no, at least not for v4. After sending
this email, I tried to implement it myself a bit, and got a bit
further. My gut's telling me there's something wonky there.

> I'd suggest deleting the second call to pgp_put_header (the one with the
> PGP_LENGTH_TWO_OCTETS argument). The the correct body length should be
> passed to the first pgp_put_header call, and the variable start, and the
> assert, check that we really generate a packet body matching that
> length.

Aye. I have that in a local copy of the function, but gpg was kicking
back exported keys - I'm thinking I might have to hack a bit on it.

> In case you'd like to try to get some more of the pgp code in shape,
> additional testcases would be a good place to start.

I think I'll do that, thank you!

> The way I remember it, I tried passing the generated pckets to gpg, but
> it was a bit difficult to get any interoperability by supporting only
> the "new" openpgp formats. Things might have changed since then, of
> course.

ACK. I'll see what I can learn / document.

> 
> Regards,
> /Niels

Thanks for the quick reply!
  Paul

> 
> -- 
> Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid C0B98E26.
> Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.

-- 
#define sizeof(x) rand()
:wq

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

_______________________________________________
nettle-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.lysator.liu.se/mailman/listinfo/nettle-bugs

Reply via email to