Well a timer service is a different type of service. Not sure I can find
you a good reference, but read for example the beginning of this article:
https://lwn.net/Articles/735887/

"The other subsystem is just called "kernel timers"; it offers less
precision but is more efficient in situations where the timer will probably
be canceled before it fires."

Something like a Timer#reset() method, which resets the countdown to the
event, is not natural with a task scheduler, although you can surely
emulate it sort of.
They are related, but different.

You can read about Linux timerfd_settimer or POSIX setitimer to get a
better feeling for what a timer service might offer.