On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 12:47 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> On 07/01/2013 04:14 PM, Dan Winship wrote:
> >> danw, any rationale behind the argument for ignore-carrier?
> >
> > Servers, by definition, tend to have fixed IP addresses. Therefore, if
> > you are using DHCP on a server, it's probably for ease of deployment,
> > not because you want dynamism.
>
> Any response to this theory?
>

> So currently I am thinking for 0.9.10:
>
>   - flip the default value of monitor-connection-files from true
>     to false for all users, not just server (with a release note)

This is a change with the potential to confuse admins temporarily, but I
think we should do it.  Experience has shown me that while using inotify
sounds nice, in practice, it ends up being unpredictable.  Notably it
makes it impossible to apply changes to multiple files without
transiently exposing half-done configuration.

>   - ship a server.conf with:
>       no-auto-default=*

This one is the most important.

>       ignore-carrier=*

This one I'm still uncertain about...

> And for "future":
>
>   - further improve the ignore-carrier/DHCP behavior, so that if
>     an ignore-carrier device comes up, and it *does* have an active
>     DHCP connection, we renew the lease without taking the device
>     down.

This logic sounds fairly sane though.