On Tue, 2021-07-20 at 22:04 +0100, Jason Vas Dias via networkmanager-
list wrote:
> If I do :
>   # nmcli radio wifi off
> , it disassociates the PHY for the device and I have to
>   'rfkill $id unblock' .
>   If I reenable wireless, and  do
>   # systemctl stop wpa_supplicant
>   # mv /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant.bin
>  after starting NM, then I can run hostapd .
> I have to remember to move wpa_supplicant back after I stop
> using hostapd .
> Please add support for enabling either hostapd or wpa_supplicant,
> not both, to NM = or is there some way of disabling running the
> wpa_supplicant service only, without rfkill ?

Hi,

configure the device as unmanaged.

Temporarily, with `nmcli device set wlan0 managed no`

Permanently, there are several means (udev rules, config files). the
best seems to be a file

  /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/90-wlan-unmanaged.conf

with

  [device-90-wlan-unmanaged]
  match-device=interface-name:wlan0
  managed=0

see `man NetworkManager.conf`.

If you do it that way, you can still override it at runtime with `nmcli
device set wlan0 managed yes`.

I think `nmcli device set wlan0 managed yes` may not sufficiently
instruct wpa_supplicant to let go of the device. That means, you still
might need `systemctl stop wpa_supplicant.service`. Patch welcome to
properly handle the release of a device by setting it unmanaged.

best,
Thomas