Thank You so much, Thomas, for the most useful info !

RE: > Patch welcome to properly handle the release of a device
      > by setting it unmanaged.

I will investigate this and see what I can do to improve
management of wpa_supplicant (W_S) & wireless interfaces.

I'd also like to develop a patch to make NM fully hostapd aware ,
so that the code realizes that use of W_S and hostapd are
mutually exclusive for an interface , and which add settings
for fully setting up & managing hostapd as well as W_S .
And to allow switching between hostpd & W_S modes.

hostapd probably needs its own module to manage things
like providing dhcp service to connecting usits - I've been
using static IP because I only have a few connecting
devices - happily Android phones do allow connections to
WEP APs with a static IP . But full Address Pool & DHCP
server mgmt is needed for arbitrarily large numbers of
 connecting  units.  And the NM GUIs / applets would need
changes to support the new hostapd settings .