Derek Jennings wrote:

>On Thursday 07 Nov 2002 2:52 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
>

>>Derek Jennings wrote:

>>>~/.cddb
>>>

>>Thanks,
>>Question, Is it possible that grip goes on the net passively,
>>that is in the background , while you are on the net for some
>>other reason, retrieves db and stores it, because until today,
>>I don't consciously remember ever going on the net for db retrieval, yet
>>cddb is full of data files.They got there somehow. John
>>

>Every time grip (or kscd or xmms) reads a CD it compares the CD id number with
>the local database. (Unfortunately despite the databases being the same, all
>three products use a different database location)
>
>If the number is not in the database, and the computer is online, then they
>will (if configured) look up the CD number in the freedb online database, and
>automatically save it in the local database. They do not read the inter-track
>data to get the track info since they would need the cdrdao library (I think)
>to do that, and none of them use that library.
>
>derek

It seems then, that is the answer to it, what I thought was clever old
Grip reading
my cd for db and storing it, was nothing of the sort it's a cleaver
little number
that stores a new cd 's disc recognition signature and as you say if
you happen
to be on the net it looks it up and if your not, it waits for some other
time and passivly
does the job for you while your doing something else on the net. That is
just
fine by me. Hell why should I object.That's what I want and it explains
why my new M9.0 doesn't want to display db , that is until I update
~/.cddb.

Thanks for your help, nothing wrong ,
I just non't like mysteries.

John