On Wednesday 18 Dec 2002 4:22 am, Linus Drouhard wrote:
> Anne,
>       I don't print many envelopes and I don't make them part of the main
> document. The OO letter function does not work quite as well as MS Office.
> It just formats a page that happens to be envelope size.  If there's a way
> for it to automatically recognize the address from a letter, for instance,
> I don't know how to accomplish that.

If you highlight an address it does paste it into the envelope.  However, if
the envelope function is dodgy it's better avoided for the present, although
it looks as though it is getting close.  For the moment, I'll do it your way.

> I just
> start a new document, set the page format to envelope, type that addresses
> and print. That suits me for the very few envelopes I do print.
>
> I have not had any trouble with OO restarting itself.

I had this problem under 8.2, first install, but when I re-installed 8.2 OO
behaved perfectly.

> I've had a few other
> difficulties with MDK 9.0, browsers that suddenly quit communication to
> printer, Galeon freezing all the time, Software Updater has never worked,
> and a few other annoyances.  I fixed the browsers be removing and
> reinstalling. I've not figured out Software Updater, it connects but won't
> download a thing from any connected server.

I've none of those problems.  I think the frustrating thing is that we don't
understand what's going on.  The fact that one person has a persistant
problem while another with a very similar setup has none makes it very
confusing.

> Oh, well, now I'm wandering far off topic.  I don't have any other ideas
> for you on OO except to try the old Microsoft solution of "remove and
> reinstall". I personally hate that approach as I want to know what's wrong
> and fix it directly.

Me too.  Ah well - learning experiences ;-)

Anne