Anne Wilson wrote:

On Friday 26 Sep 2003 7:49 pm, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:

At 02:08 PM 9/26/2003, Anne Wilson said something remarkably like
(but

somehow subtly different from):

Afterwards users will be able to access theit /home folders
from a Windows computer.

Thank you. I think I got this working right, but I am getting
errors from my Windows machines. I suspect the problem is now
on the Windows side.

What kind of errors?

Using Windows Explorer, I can see the Samba server, and when I
click on it I get a login screen. But when I try to login I get:

***********************

\\LOCALHOST is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
find out if you have access permissions.

You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the
network. Go to System in Control Panel to change the computer name
and try again.

***********************

Now, I know that my home network does not have duplicate computer
names. I have a workgroup setup among three Windows machines and it
works fine.

Might the problem be that I cannot belong to two different
workgroups? The Samba server shows up as part of MDKGROUP.

In /etc/smb/conf you must set the workgroup to the same name (case-sensitive) that your windows users have.

Is there any way to configure samba to work for more than one workgroup?

Sir Robin

-- "I can say: 'Thank these bees for their honey as though they were kind people who have prepared it for you'; that is intelligible and describes how I should like you to conduct yourself. But I cannot say: 'Thank them because, look, how kind they are!'--since the next moment they may sting you. - Wittgenstein

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533