If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

EXTRA EARLY EDITION

Gia and I are heading down to DC to attend tonight’s black-tie anniversary dinner for
Fred Smith’s Competitive Enterprise Institute.  And Grandma has the kids overnight, so
we’re gonna have a genuine, honest-to-goodness adult night on the town in the nation’s
capital.  Woo-hoo!

Anyway, here’s tomorrow’s edition of News & Views today since I don’t expect to be
anywhere near a computer for the next 24 hours...

GOP, WHITE HOUSE CAVE...AGAIN

In a deal with Senate MINORITY Leader Tom Daschle, President Bush has surrendered his
right to make recess appointments of stalled judicial nominees for the remainder of
his term in return for Daschle turning loose 25 judicial “hostage” nominations.
However, the hostage release deal does NOT include five Circuit Court nominees who are
being blocked from up-or-down votes by unconstitutional Democrat filibusters.

Lovely.

For all their huffing-and-puffing and ‘round-the-clock marathons, Republicans raised
the white flag over this critical issue of judicial nominations yet again.  So the
Democrat extortion strategy has worked like a charm.  The Republicans didn’t break the
filibusters; the filibusters broke them.  As Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican,
asked, “What will stop them (Democrats) from blocking all future nominees?  What will
stop future Congresses from employing similar tactics?  When does it end?”

The White House and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, of course, will point to the 25
freed hostages and say they’ve “won” with this deal.  What do you think?  Toss your
two cents in at:  http://blog.chuckmuth.com/blog/

“FAHREN-HYPE 9/11”

Get the low-down on Michael Moore’s hit piece muck-umentary against President Bush
from Daniel Schwammenthal of Opinion Journal at:
http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110005098

SENATE HURTING WAR EFFORT

“The House Armed Services Committee chairman yesterday said the ongoing Senate
hearings into prisoner abuse in Iraq are hurting the U.S. military's ability to wage
the war.  ‘We've got 135,000 kids over there that need leadership, and their
leadership can't be dragged back to Washington every couple of days to focus on seven
people. And that's what's happened,’ said Rep. Duncan Hunter, California Republican.”

- Washington Times, 4/19/04

DIRTY LITTLE SECRET

“The one dirty little secret no one appears interested in discussing as a contributing
factor to the whorehouse behavior at Abu Ghraib is coed basic training and what it has
done to upset order and discipline.”

- Columnist Cal Thomas

LOSING THE WILL TO WIN

“A general once said of his own troops that he didn't know what the enemy thinks of
them, ‘but they scare the hell out of me.’  I get that same queasy feeling observing
about half of American public opinion and the politicians and journalists who try to
shape it. . . . (L)ess than three years after America began to face down the greatest
threat yet to our national survival, not only has half the country given up the fight,
but they have closed their eyes to the danger.”

- Columnist Tony Blankley

SURVEY SAYS!

Should high school teachers be prohibited from showing the Nick Berg beheading in
their classrooms?

*  Yes
*  No
*  I’m a Kerry Democrat...Yes AND No

Cast your vote by clicking the “Survey Says!” tab at www.citizenoutreach.com

GORELICK’S WALL

“Justice documents, and her testimony before the Intelligence Committee (in 1995),
prove (September 11 commissioner Jamie) Gorelick was directly involved in the building
and guarding of the wall (a Clinton-era policy blocking communications between law
enforcement and intelligence agents).  Incredibly, prior to Mr. Ashcroft's disclosure,
the commission was not aware of these material facts. Ms. Gorelick failed to disclose
the documents and her work on this central issue.

“...As a commissioner, Ms. Gorelick has consistently questioned why senior members of
the Bush administration failed to have enough meetings and ‘shake the tree’ for
information. She has led the commission away from the fact that her own work led to
the atmosphere, which created intelligence failures.”

- David Bossie, president of Citizens United and author of a new book, “Intelligence
Failure: How Clinton’s National Security Policy Set the Stage for 9/11”

HOPELESSLY CONFLICTED

“...David Bossie, former chief investigator for the House Committee on Government
Reform and Oversight, makes a powerful case that Jamie Gorelick, a member of the
September 11 commission, has a major conflict-of-interest problem. Mr. Bossie is
right. Given that Ms. Gorelick, during her tenure as deputy attorney general in the
Clinton Justice Department, helped strengthen the ill-conceived legal ‘wall’ that
choked off cooperation between law enforcement and intelligence agencies prior to
September 11, she has no business serving as an investigator of the attacks.”

- Washington Times editorial, 5/19/04

ILLEGAL ALIENS WIN ANOTHER ONE

“The House yesterday overwhelmingly rejected a bill to require hospitals to identify
illegal aliens before the federal government would reimburse the hospitals for their
care.  It was a severe defeat for immigration-control advocates…  Rep. Dana
Rohrabacher, California Republican and sponsor of the bill, said the government has an
obligation to U.S. citizens and legal residents before taking care of illegal aliens.
‘We cannot be the HMO of the world and expect to take care of our own people,’ he
said.”

- Washington Times, 5/19/04

AMNESTY A RADIOACTIVE ISSUE

“The issue that has the potential to be the most volatile politically in the 2004
election is not Iraq, the economy or same-sex marriages. At this writing, it would
appear to be the wildly unpopular idea of granting illegal aliens what amounts to
amnesty — the opportunity to stay in this country, work, secure social services,
become citizens and, in some jurisdictions, perhaps vote even prior to becoming
citizens.

“So radioactive is this idea across party, demographic, class and geographic lines
that President Bush has wisely decided effectively to shelve the immigration reform
plan he announced with much fanfare earlier this year. With the lowest job approval
ratings of his presidency, the last thing he needs is a legislative brawl that will at
best fracture, and at worst massively alienate his base.”

- Columnist Frank Gaffney

“CANNON-IZING” THE AMNESTY KING

“Immigration is turning into an election battleground among Republicans, with several
challengers running primary campaigns against leading congressional supporters of
legalizing illegal aliens.  Rep. Christopher B. Cannon, Utah Republican and a
prominent legalization supporter, failed to win 60 percent of the vote at a Republican
nominating convention a little more than a week ago. Now, he faces a primary next
month against Matt Throckmorton, a former state legislator who is running hard on the
immigration issue. . . . Mr. Cannon has introduced a bill to allow illegal aliens
working in some agricultural areas to gain legal status.”

- Washington Times, 5/19/04

ANTI-ILLEGAL VOICES FINALLY BEING HEARD

“Last week, I was talking to the legislative assistant in charge of the immigration
issue for a member of Congress when she inadvertently made a comment that demonstrates
the positive impact the Cannon-Throckmorton primary race in Utah is already having
back in Washington. . . . While discussing the obstacles on Capitol Hill facing good
legislation, the staffer said that many members of Congress feel the political
downside they face for supporting bad (immigration) legislation isn't severe enough
yet to counter the influence of the special interest lobbyists.

“Then she added, to my surprise, ‘Except for that whole thing with Cannon out in
Utah.’  At face value, her comment means that the severe setback that hopeless
underdog Matt Throckmorton handed invulnerable incumbent Chris Cannon by forcing him
into a primary on $11,000 has been noticed where it counts. And noticed, too, is the
fact that Cannon's awful immigration voting record was the cause of his embarrassing
failure.”

- Craig Nelsen, ProjectUSA, 5/16/04

MAKING AN EXAMPLE OUT OF CANNON

No issue shows a bigger divide between the people and their elected elite than that of
granting amnesty to illegal aliens.  The people don’t want it...period; the
politicians, on the other hand, are bending over backwards to extend it.  The
prevailing wisdom “inside the beltway” is that votes and elections aren’t swayed by
the illegal immigration issue, no matter how much grassroots citizens complain about
it.  They point to a number of recent elections where the issue was brought up, but
the pro-amnesty candidate won anyway.

Clearly, they ain’t gonna get the message until we take out one of their high-profile
brethren and make sure everyone knows it’s over the amnesty issue.  And there’s no
better opportunity than in the upcoming Utah primary race between Rep. Chris “Let ‘Em
All In” Cannon and his GOP primary challenger Matt Throckmorton.

RightMarch.com, an extremely effective conservative online activist group we’ve
featured here on several issues in the past, has its sights set on making an example
out of Cannon.  They helped force “The Amnesty King” into a primary by distributing
flyers highlighting his pro-amnesty positions at the recent Utah GOP convention.  And
they’re now preparing a series of print and radio ads for the June 22 showdown.

If you want to help send a message to the Washington elites that when we say “NO!” to
illegal alien amnesty, we mean it, consider making a generous contribution to
RightMarch.com’s efforts by going to:  http://www.rightmarch.com/pac/cannon-muth.htm

MORON BUSTED

Longtime readers of this column are familiar with a political loser out in Las Vegas
named Tony Dane, a card-carrying horse’s ass if there ever was one.  Well, the
Danester got thrown in the hoosegow on Tuesday after refusing to leave a restricted
area at UNLV where First Lady Laura Bush was speaking.  "A UNLV officer told me we
must leave the area," Dane said.  But Dane told the officers to get bent, citing his
“extensive” knowledge of the law.  Police chief Jose Elique said the arrest “could
have been avoided if (Dane had) complied and moved a few feet away."  Once again,
stupid is as stupid does.  And The Idiot Dane remains one of the few constants in the
universe.

Chuck Muth’s News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan, 501(c)3
non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views
reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439