If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

___________________________________

EXTRA!  EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT...

The Senate vote on the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage is scheduled for a
vote tomorrow.  And the GOP troops appear to have taken this issue of mass hysteria
and converted it into an issue of mass confusion.  In military terms, what we have
here is a good, old-fashioned phrase which begins with the word “cluster.”  I’m on my
way down to Washington this morning to give a Hill briefing on the issue and hope to
talk some political sense into our folks.  Talk about “mission impossible.”  In the
meantime, read all about how the strategic wheels have come off this GOP-driven apple
cart in today’s “Lawfully Wedded” update posted on our News & Views EXTRA page at:
http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm
_____________________________________

SURVEY SAYS!

Is it time for Christians to get out of the political business and back into the
social work business?

*  Amen and hallelujah
*  When Hades freezes over

Cast your vote by clicking the “Survey Says!” tab at www.citizenoutreach.com

THE SOONER THE BETTER

“Some day, possibly, we shall see State-owned education disappear as we have seen a
State-owned Church disappear. The relations between the State and education are as
immoral and monstrous as those between the State and religion; and some day they will
be so seen.”

- Author Alfred Jay Nock

WELL, SO MUCH FOR THAT BRILLIANT IDEA

“Although the John Kerry campaign enjoyed a rush of positive media coverage after
announcing that John Edwards would be the Democratic candidate’s running mate, it is
still locked in a dead heat with the Republican ticket, according to the first
NEWSWEEK poll conducted since Edwards was tapped. Nearly 70 percent of all voters
believe the selection of Edwards won’t make much difference in the outcome of the
election, according to the poll.”

- Newsweek, 7/10/04

THANKS, KID

32-year-old Jeremy Katzmann is packing up the family in his native Wheatland, Wyoming,
and moving to Florida.  So what, right?  Heck, people relocate every day.

Ah, but Jeremy isn’t just any ol’ person.  He’s one of only three doctors in this
small town and he’s being forced to close up his practice and move thanks to
sky-rocketing medical malpractice insurance rates.  And why are insurance rates
sky-rocketing?  Because of all the out-of-control lawsuits being brought by
ambulance-chasing, slip-and-spill personal injury attorneys.

By the way, did we mention that vice presidential candidate John Edwards made his
bones and fortune suing doctors just like Dr. Katzmann?

Oh, and as another aside, I often fail to mention that there are actually GOOD lawyers
out there who conduct themselves professionally and with dignity and provide a
much-needed service to our communities.  And I’ll be the luncheon speaker at a
convention of such lawyers this Saturday in Milwaukee, where the Republican National
Lawyers Association will be meeting to discuss, among many important topics, BALLOT
SECURITY.  Hope to see some of you there.

GRAB YOUR WALLETS AND HEAD FOR THE HILLS!

The National Taxpayers Union Foundation just completed a study of John Kerry’s
campaign proposals and estimate that a Kerry win in November would result in $226
billion in additional federal spending just in his first year.

AND THE ALTERNATIVE IS…

“(John) Kerry has long lacked a campaign theme. . . . As for Mr. Bush, he has matched
Mr. Kerry almost vacuity for vacuity.  Yes, he want to persevere in Iraq and preserve
his tax cuts.  What else?  A forward looking second-term agenda with thematic
coherence and political punch has been AWOL.”

- Columnist Rich Lowry

FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF “DUH”

The Las Vegas Sun headline screamed over the weekend: “NAACP Chairman Condemns Bush
Policies.”  In other headlines:  “The Sun Rose in the East,” “Study Finds that Dogs
Like Chasing Cats” and “Skunks Stink.”

REAGAN TO SPEAK AT DONEKY-FEST 2004

"‘In a move sure to embarrass Republicans, Ron Reagan will address the Democratic
National Convention this month,’ Knight Ridder Newspapers report. . . . Why exactly
would this ‘embarrass’ Republicans? If Roger Clinton showed up to speak at the GOP
convention, would the Democrats be embarrassed, or would they be glad to be rid of
him?”

- James Taranto, Best of the Web, 7/12/04

FEDERAL FUNDING & STEM CELL RESEARCH

“Making the rounds today is a story hot off the presses that Ron Reagan, Jr. is going
to address the Democratic National Convention this month. . . . Apparently Ron is
going to speak about stem cell research. You see, the Bush administration is opposed
to federal funding of stem cell research, which some say could one day help
Alzheimer's patients like Ron Reagan's father. But the left and the media have done a
good job making it sound like George Bush is banning the research outright; he's not.
He's banning federal funding of it.

“If there really was so much hope in stem cell research, wouldn't pharmaceutical
companies be funding it themselves? Can you imagine how much a cure for Alzheimer's
would be worth? And besides, can someone show me where in the Constitution it mentions
funding stem cell research? You can't, because it doesn't.

“Nobody ever said common sense was genetic.”

- Talk show host Neal Boortz

IF YOU CAN’T TAKE THE HEAT...

About that radio interview out in L.A. featuring border control chief Asa Hutchinson
on the issue of “interior” sweeps for illegal aliens which we noted a couple days ago:
 According to Christopher Parkes of the Financial Times of London, Hutchinson said to
the producer of the John and Ken show immediately afterwards, “That was the most
unruly host and interview I have ever been on."

Gee, maybe if Mr. Hutchinson had (a) answered direct questions with direct answers
which addressed the direct questions asked things wouldn’t have been so hostile, and
(b) maybe if Hutchinson hadn’t stopped the aggressive and highly successful
enforcement effort by the Border Patrol instead of caving in to the radical open
borders crowd, the entire interview wouldn’t have been necessary in the first place.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION CHEAP SHOT

“Six rabbis in Los Angeles have...accused Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of
resurrecting a Holocaust-era symbol of persecution by insisting that if illegal aliens
are allowed to get driver's licenses, they must carry a mark making their immigration
status clear to law enforcement. ‘You are a person of faith, an immigrant and one who
has been a friend to the Jewish community for many years,’ they wrote the governor.
‘In the strongest terms possible, we urge you to oppose any attempt to put hateful
labels on California driver's licenses.’ One rabbi, Dan Moskovitz of Temple Judea,
went so far as to compare the idea to the yellow stars that Jews in Germany were
forced to wear on their clothing.

“It's unclear how identifying someone's immigration status is a symbol of hate. State
driver's licenses already identify various restrictions on the holder, such as whether
he or she needs corrective lenses. Playing the ‘yellow star’ card’ with a governor
whose father was a member of the Nazi Party in Austria is a surefire way to get his
attention, but not his respect.

“To equate a law enforcement tool that would probably be built into the magnetic strip
on the back of the license and thus invisible to ordinary citizens with Nazi yellow
stars is absurd and trivializes the Holocaust. Raising that incendiary issue only
stiffens the opposition of those who believe that rewarding anyone who entered the
country illegally with a license makes a mockery of the rule of law.”

- John Fund, Political Diary, 7/12/04

SUPER-SIZED OPINION REQUEST

Michael Moore-wannbe Morgan Spurlock is taking his over-hyped crockumentary on the
“dangers” of eating at McDonalds on the road to a school near you this fall.  And his
PR flaks are asking for “letters of recommendation regarding the film and its message”
to be included on this propaganda tour.  Here’s what I sent…

“I thought Mr. Spurlock's movie was a super-sized con job dedicated to super-sizing
his wallet using techniques of deception surpassed only by Michael Moore.  Why won't
Morgan release a copy of the diary he mentions in the movie showing EXACTLY what he
ate and how much...including all the "snacks" he told MSNBC he sneaked in?  What's he
trying to hide...other than the truth?  And why won't he appear with and/or debate any
of the other folks who also went on 30-day McDonalds-only diets and LOST weight?  Did
all those hamburgers turn him into a chicken?”

The bottom line is:  It’s about personal responsibility, not trying to shift blame to
McDonalds if you eat like a pig.  If want to share your own opinions along these lines
on “Super Size Me,” feel free to email ’em in to ol’ Morgan at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Chuck Muth’s News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan, 501(c)3
non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views
reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439