On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Rolf Ernst wrote:

> I just downloaded the Linux version off the web site but for some reason am
> totally unable to get this to work. I made all the files, updated the
> configuration and tried to execute the example and ran into the message
> issued in HandlerFactory
>
> if ($versionStatus eq 'no update')
>   {
>     die "News Clipper encountered a \"no update\" when there is no local " .
>       "version of handler $handler_name";
>   }

Hi Rolf,

I'm waiting for my sysadmin to finish installing the mod_perl version
of the server. Until then, I've had to disable the auto-download.

> It was my understanding that the latest handler would be downloaded. I
> actually went so far to download it manually and stick it into the
> Handlerdirectory without any results.

This should work, provided you put the handler in the right place.
Look at the handler, if it says NewsClipper::Handler::Acquisition, it
should go into .NewsClipper/NewsClipper/Handler/Acquisition. ::Filter
goes into /Filter, and ::Output goes into /Output

> Thus I downloaded the Opensource copy and tried to compile it. One of the
> last errors I ran into was the missing Log::Agent::Rotate which
> unfortunately has Getargs::Long as a prerequisite. Compiling this guy gives
> me a warning that it will raise a bug in Perl 5.6 (which is what I run and
> is almost the latest and the greatest).

See this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/newsclipperlist%40newsclipper.com/msg00375.html

I'm stalled on releasing the new version of News Clipper until the DB
is back at full strength. Plus I'm hoping to fix Log::Agent::Rotate so
that it doesn't trigger the 5.6 bug.

> Also, I noticed that the code of the commercial version (again Linux)
> prefixes the default directories with a period for reasons unbeknownst to
> me, i.e. $HOME./NewsClipper etc.

.NewsClipper, right? Configuration information on Unix systems often
goes into .foo directories.

Regards,
David