RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[32] Lee Martin in trouble
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
After admitting benefit fraud whilst picking up job seekers allowance but earning
£11,300 off MUTV in one half-year period and also claiming council tax benefit - he
will be sentenced by JPs in Glossop next month after he admitted making false
declerations.

---------------------------------
[31] Keano on last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was a good result for us and very important after the disappointment of the
weekend. Hopefully we can build on that now. Nobody likes losing and we are no
different. We are human and it  has been a disappointing few weeks for us losing so
many games  especially to our arch rivals. So this win against Boavista was a good
boost."

---------------------------------
[30] Wenger signs Arse deal
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Apparently £2.5m a year until 2005, ruling him out of the Utd job, thank God.

---------------------------------
[29] But now the Benfica keeper does a u-turn
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Benfica goalkeeper Robert Enke obviously has two agents as this one denites the claims.

Goerg Neblung:

"The last conversation we had with manager Alex Ferguson and chief executive Peter
Kenyon was last summer regarding the player's transfer. There has been no further
contact with Manchester United to the player, or to me. He was close to signing last
summer but Fabien Barthez was number one at Manchester United and is still is number
one because he is a great goalkeeper. Enke does not want to be number two or three. He
is one of the heroes in Portugal. He likes it very much and the weather is warmer than
here in Germany or  in England."

---------------------------------
[28] United after German keeper?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
German goalkeeper Robert Enke - according to his agent, Norbert Pflippen:

"We have spoken to United in the past but he was not very keen on being number three.
Now they are interested again - and they do have a little problem at the moment."

---------------------------------
[27] Now this is dedication
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
by gary

The Sun page 11

Paradise Lost for Man Utd

Soccer-mad Cathy Dennison has sold her home in an Australian surfers'
paradise and moved to England - so she can be close to her beloved
Manchester United.

The 22-year-old, who for years has been getting up at 2am to watch United on satellite
TV, now lives in a two-up, two-down in the shadow of Old Trafford. Cathy started
following United after chatting to tourists in Coffs Harbour, New South Wales. She
said: "I know it seems mad, but I just love football."

A spokesman for the club said: "We wish her all the best, but advise her to buy an
umbrella."

---------------------------------
[26] Tenuous Becks link
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
by Gary

Sun, page 19

Ronnie Saved by Beckham's Brief

World snooker champ Ronnie O'Sullivan walked free from court yesterday - thanks to the
lawyer who has saved David Beckham and other stars.

I'll skip the details but the final paragraph says:

Two years ago Mt Freeman got Man Utd idol Beckham his licence back in a
speeding case. He has won cases for Becks' team-mate Dwight Yorke, manager Sir Alex
Ferguson and Eastenders star Steve McFadden.

---------------------------------
[25] Our Martin on the ball as ever
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Matt

Thought you might be amused by this quote from Martin Edward's ramblings in United
Review from last night. He obviously thought it was going to be a crap match.

"We have had some fabulous matches against clubs from Portugal in the past and I've
reason to assume that tonight's Group A tie against boavista will not be another to
savour"

---------------------------------
[23] Liverpool fans attacked in Italy
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'The British Embassy in Rome says reports of four Liverpool fans being 'stabbed' are
exaggerated. Three fans were reportedly stabbed before the Champions League match
against Roma and one was knifed during the game.  A spokesman for the British Embassy
confirms four Liverpool fans have received treatment but describes the wounds as
"barely punctures".

He said: "It sounds a bit drastic to say they were stabbed. The wounds were very
superficial - they were barely punctures. "Four fans had very slight knife wounds.
They were taken to San Giacomo Hospital, medicated and immediately sent on their way,"
he added. A Merseyside Police spokeswoman said: "We know that three men received very
minor knife wounds, which were more like slashes than stabs.

"One man was cut on the hip, one on the thigh and the other on the hand. We do not
have any records of a fourth casualty. The injured men were treated and released in
time to get to the match, although we do not know if they did." Police say the injured
men were not with an official party in Rome. A spokesman said: "I would urge
supporters travelling abroad to get their tickets through official channels and to
follow the safety information carefully."

---------------------------------
[22] If you were there you'd know
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
By the Birdman

"If you were there you'd know" is a great track off Wham's "Make It Big
album..... and although quiet apt given the nature of what you are about to read I do
feel that "Go West" would have been more appropriate. Hang on ...that's the Pet Shop
Boys ain't it ....can't have that sh-t .... let's revert back to Wham in their tight
Fila phase ... back in them days the only thing that got sucked off in bogs were
wellies.

Anyway - point is I normally sit in K Stand(East) and I can't hear much from Stretty
Tier 2(West) - where the Vocal Fans Campaign (VFC) is supposed to be in full swing.
Don't get me wrong - I can hear summat ... but it don't appear to be what some people
have said it is.
So I gets a spare for the Chelsea rent boys game (glad I gave the Pet Shop Boys tune a
miss) and came up with a cunning plan. Thought I'd let a mate have my ticket and I'd
have the spare in West T2....clever eh.... that way I'd get to sample it for myself.

Early KO means me in a bad mood and more importantly... me stone cold Steve Austin
sober i.e. not very good...hate being at a match sober.... even typing this is
disturbing me. Gets to the game and the thought of all those stairs in T2 crosses my
mind...... I have second thoughts ... but then again - fcuk it.... why not try it.
Gets up to my seat in W3105 ..and yeah top view must say. Game starts and I have to
say I am pretty impressed with the atmos.... even Russ Abbott would appreciate this I
thought.

Half time comes and I checks out the concourse with the VFC notice boards and stuff.
Its all very civilised -  nice p!ss stones - and no one having a wass in the sinks
like they do in K.... and they even have tele's in there too and somewhere to put a
bet on.... that's not in the bogs silly .... I mean on the concourse. Sounds basic I
know but we don't have any of this in K I am telling' ya.

Had a bit ov a sing a long a max in the second half.... Follow, follow, follow being
number one in the current OT hit parade (oh no I am soundin' like me Dad again!). Good
ten mins of the Fergie song at the end and then follow, follow, follow all the way
down the stairs with the stair cages getting a good banging too (ooh ere). Vowed to my
mates to return bout 26 (love that number) times during the post match
p/up.

Anyway - b.ugger me - slap my thigh and call me Roger - cover me in jam I'm a jammy
dodger - by Wednesday I am back for a second visit. This time I have had a fair few
beers and was like a youthful Seb Coe bounding up them stairs. Another good throat
clearing, lung busting effort - plus ....a win to boot. Monday, Tuesday, Happy Day.
Overall....glad I have seen both sides ... gonna stay in K but can't fault T2 & will
return.

Red bonnets off to both the fellas in the VFC and to the rest of the red Joseph Public
that reside in T2. As I said above when I am sat in K I can't hear much from T2 and I
doubt that'll change - also gotta say sat in T2 I could hardly hear K ... must be
those daft sticks or summat ?...what they called ? is it A Coo sticks ? dunno, not
sure. Either way check out the West End ... you might get a bargain...

TheBirdman

---------------------------------
[21] Boavista joke
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
They were poor.

Boavista coach Jaime Pacheco:

"It’s a shame I didn’t know beforehand that Beckham was not in the United team because
I would have put him in mine!"

---------------------------------
[20] Fergie happy with back four
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"This was a good disciplined performance. The key to any defending is not to make
mistakes and we have been blighted by individual errors all season. There are no
excuses for that but we were strong here."

---------------------------------
[19] And the terrible ref was
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
A Lopez Nieto (Spain).

---------------------------------
[18] Team from last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Barthez; P Neville, Blanc, G Neville (O'Shea, 77), Silvestre; Veron, Keane, Scholes
(Fortune, 85), Butt; Yorke, Van Nistelrooy (Solskjaer, 88).

Substitutes not used: Beckham, Chadwick, Wallwork, Carroll (gk).

---------------------------------
[17] Fergie on our group
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The main thing is that Bayern Munich have to play Boavista twice and they could eat
each other up"

---------------------------------
[16] Trust the SUN
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
To go with a picture of a glum looking Becks on the bench last night, with the
headline 'Spot on...We get it right (about Becks being dropped), so does Fergie'. From
all accounts Becks is not in a strop at all so just more mischief.

---------------------------------
[15] Get the new Red News out this week on Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Issue 82 is a new Red News out this week - a bumper biggest ever £2 Xmas special. WOW!
You can buy a copy on Saturday.

Inside this massive, massive edition contains the latest third volume of our GREAT
UNITED SONGS collection, with brand new songs and verses - and all the Utd classics
from 100 years of Utd songsters. Twice in the past we have quickly sold out of
previous editions so we advise you to get hold of a copy of this completely new update
as we expect the same to happen. Spread the word too!

Also inside Red News  issue 82
AGM overview
Lille & Bayern reports
Wes Brown interview
Utd fan and Olympic sprinter Darren Campbell interview
Utd fans express their views on recent on field events
Gossip - exclusive and revealing
Memories of Utd Pitch Invasions
Tony Smith
GREAT UNITED SONGS VOLUME 3

All this and much more for just £2. We will definitely have sellers at the top of Sir
Matt Busby Way (by Legends cafe), half way down Sir Matt Busby Way, the left hand side
of Salford Quay bridge as you're approaching the ground, the bottom of the Red Cafe
bridge by the main road - and elsewhere. Best bet is to bag yourself a copy BEFORE the
game as we want to head to the pub quickly afterwards!

So grab yourself a classic, help the cause and get 150 classic Utd songs. Red News 82
on sale on Saturday.

---------------------------------
[14] Now that's a proper Utd website
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Latest from Kokweek

'KOK 05/12/2001
Say Blanc The Smoking Monkey!
I have difficult week like Manchester. Many people leaves at my factory. Which confuse
issues. Big boss have funny ideas. Sir Alex maybe too.  I was upset on day I was home
late and watched... Manchester United - The Treble - Official Season Review 1998-99. I
still excite to images  I dream Blanc the smoking monkey, he smoke all the time. It
come out of his nose v big fumes of smoke. He speak like Pepe Le Pue. The cartoon. It
was in a street shop with DVD, video CD and watches. All Manchester, everything. I
very pleased, wonder of all. So much things that I make me light-headed, I have swell
time, like wearing American clothes and kiss lady on lips.  Blanc Monkey was at the
rear, he was counting money. I think he was boss of shop. But he not care, he just
count his money and smoke  All time Blanc Monkey not blink, not see, he not not care.
I waked up. I still got my video, Phew! It not real. But I think Manchester will win
Fa Cup and Champions League... Let monkeys steal leag!
ue. Bye Kok'

---------------------------------
[13] PSV deny Hofland rumours
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"There is nothing happening with Manchester United and Kevin
Hofland. If there was, we would know about it"

---------------------------------
[12] Keano to start new contract talks
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Hopefully resolved quicker than the last one!

His agent, Michael Kennedy:

"United have indicated that they would like to sit down and talk to us. We're happy to
meet them at any time and discuss a new contract, but we hope that talks will begin in
the new year. We'll sit down with the club then. It will all depend on the terms
offered, but Roy wants to stay. Manchester United is his club."

---------------------------------
[11] Choccy on United
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
McClair

 http://www.EPLsoccer.com/features/feature/88422
http://www.EPLsoccer.com/features/feature/88422

'It is impossible to win or lose a league at this stage of a season -
certainly not in England - not in a competition as intensely fought over as the
Premier League.

There has been a lot of talk - and, I think, misunderstanding - over something the
boss, Sir Alex Ferguson, said about United no longer being in a position to win this
championship.

It came after our fifth league defeat of the season and that, you have to say, was not
a result he would have expected. In its wake the only way he can look at it is
statistically. He knows and was confirming it publicly that the team simply cannot
afford to keep on losing the way they have been - and that if they do they are not
going to finish in top spot.

That's surely not conceding the title. I don't believe he was saying "it's all over"
and that from this moment on United would just be making up the numbers in the
Barclaycard Premiership. It is unimaginable.

Of course it has to be a run of form you can do without - a run that makes pushing for
the championship difficult, but from my experience not impossible.

I think if you look back over the years to the days when I was involved in
championships then it is about now, just before Christmas, that United actually made
their move: we'd have been hanging on to the coat-tails until December then the push
would come.

Last season was different, a canter, so easy, so comprehensively easy you couldn't
expect or perhaps even want it to be so comfortable again.

You must prepare for other teams to improve in every way with experience and I would
include in that their self-belief, which is such a vital factor in any championship
side.

That seems to be happening - the Barclaycard Premiership race now looks a far tighter
competition and the entire game is better for it.

Instead of just one or two teams dominating the proceedings there are five or six I
would consider serious challengers - and I would include Manchester United in that
list.

It is too easy to dismiss the importance of relying on players who have seen it, done
it and survived the pressures involved in winning a major honour. When you know what
it is going to be like you can prepare yourself. If you have coped before then it is
reasonable to expect you can cope again.

When you look at the top clubs then only Arsenal's players, and only a few of them,
know just what it is like. We have kept the Premier League title to ourselves. There
is a whole generation of players out there who haven't a clue what it is like to be a
league champion.

This experience will be the vital factor in deciding who finishes on top of the rest.
It is not always about finding peak form but of making the best of each match. You
learn how to play it, how to survive matches when things aren't going your way.

It's not a guarantee, but experience serves the experienced well.

Confidence is another important factor.

You win, you play well, and you feel good so you do it again and again.

Confidence is belief in yourself and the other players in the squad and when players
like David Beckham says confidence is low in the squad then it seems there isn't
enough happening there.

Mistakes have been made, there has been poor play, no argument about that and there
have been occasions when they could have done with some better fortune.

Europe and the Champions League take up a lot of concentration from players and staff
and that goes into its winter break after this week's ties.

World Cup qualification also takes its toll and that has calmed down for a spell now
the draw has been made and the qualifiers know their fate.

Those clubs like United who are involved in the European Champions League and whose
players are also involved in the international scene will be able to draw everyone
into the domestic scene for the next couple of months

You sometimes need to dip right down and hit the bottom of your form before you can
begin the climb back.

When a team starts to fall it can happen surprisingly quickly, but it should be
remembered that recovery can be equally quick and highly successful.'

---------------------------------
[9] Becks wins award
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'David Beckham has been voted Britain's Sportsman of the Year.

He has landed the Sports Writers' Association's most prestigious award at a lunch in
London.

Stephanie Cook, the doctor-cum-Olympic gold medal pentathlete, won the award for
Sportswoman of the Year after winning the European individual championship and the
world team event.

But the occasion was marked by an emotional address from Liverpool manager Gerard
Houllier, whose club won the Sports Team of the Year.

Houllier, recovering from heart surgery, addressed the audience by video link to
acclaim his side who won five trophies in 2001.

"I'd like to thank the team behind the team," said Houllier. "All the staff and
members of the club have been brilliant and I hope to be in person with you next year."

Jonathan Edwards, who won gold at the World Athletics Championships earlier this year,
came second in the SWA poll, with Michael Owen third.

Jean Pickering, wife of the late BBC commentator Ron Pickering, picked up the special
President's Award for her work with the Memorial Trust which funds young athletes.'

---------------------------------
[8] Fergie - transfer it to the league
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was a good team performance - we kept our shape and discipline well and that made
a difference. The first goal gave us confidence and in the second half we did very
well too. We had a few good individual displays - and we haven't lost a goal. We
showed good team discipline. It shows what we're capable of - although I think we all
knew what we were capable of anyway. But we can put things to bed until February and
go and try and regain some form in the league. That is important."

---------------------------------
[7] Bayern win
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Nantes 0 Bayern 1
Roma 0 Scousers 0 (one goal in 24 for Heskey now - but strange no media riducule.
Imagine if he wore our - the real - Red).

---------------------------------
[6] French reaction to last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Exclusive translation for Red News by Marc

Barthez : "It feels good! After conceding 6 goals in the last 2 games, 3 by game this
time we score 3, it's good, very good. We controlled the game,  defended well, played
as a team...tonight we are satisfied."

Blanc : "It was a very important game. We had to win, to find our game. It  was good
to score, it does't happen often! We have to keep on working,  playing well, starting
on saturday. With the team we have, we must never play  as we did in the last few
games again."

And this from the commentator: "I spoke to Fabien this afternoon and he was  stunned
by the supporters on saturday. At 3-0 to Chelsea they sang louder than ever."

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie on last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was a good, disciplined performance. The key was we never made any mistakes in the
match. A lot of it was simple football and the first goal in particular was a good
goal. Once we got in front we looked like we were going to win. The key to any defence
is not making mistakes and I think we have been blighted by individual mistakes the
whole season. Tonight the unit was very solid and there were no mistakes and I was
very pleased by that."

And Silvestre did very well. Fast, pacey going forward - it does make you wish he'd
been brought on against Chelsea on the left side, midfield even?

---------------------------------
[4] Fergie on resting Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I think he's had a long season and I think that can take its toll. He has been
bothered with a back injury and sometimes we have to arrest that before it gets any
worse."

Forget any talk of a bust-up

---------------------------------
[3] Brown not out for the season - thankfully
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
Fergie:

"It's not as serious as we first thought. It's his medial ligaments and I think he
will be out for six weeks to two months."

Blanc broke his nose last night though and Gary Nev pulled his groin (cue Red Hot Tips
to insert - oh er - a joke about oranges at half-time).

---------------------------------
[2] Just one moan though
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
There has to be. The half-time 'celebrity'. It's just getting silly now. Claudia S the
supermodel I can tolerate (even if it was pre-match) but last night? Someone who is a
cousin of Garry Birtles and is in Crossroads. Come on - next you'll be calling up Mick
Hucknall!

---------------------------------
[1] United are back - did we ever go away?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2001 by bar-knee:
"United are bacl" the Reds sang. United 3 Boavista 0. Now that's more like it. Fluid,
up for it (about time some may say), passing well and looking not just like a team
again, but, well, United.

Even this K Stander has to admit that the Fanzone is really come the force as an Old
Trafford atmosphere starter and once again all the lads and lasses up there truly sang
their hearts out for the lads. All the players - even with Dwight not getting the run
of the ball - played well, Veron keeping it simple but very effective, Keano darting
about (and snarling of course, as a tirade at Ruud showed), Phil Nev doing right in
his best position at right-back and Ruud once again showing he's had his best game for
us in Europe. Becks luaghed from the sidelines and all was well in the world again.

It's a first step. But hopefully will do our confidence the world of good. Ruud 2,
Blanc 1 - and he deserves praise for playing well under so much (ABU led) criticism.
The team celebrated as one...so did we. It was a good start.

Now to Saturday, to keep it going.

Oh by the way. Chelsea. Now here we show again the classic example as to why we should
still believe about the title. Chelsea 0 Charlton 1. Wasn't Saturday the start of
something big for the RB? No, it was the end of something for us - the turning point
we hope.

(N.B. And no, J Stand I'm not going to forget to mention your ever admirable attempts
at creating an atmosphere in that part of the ground - top marks lads).

---------------------------------
[32] First Goalscorer
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by redend:

Ruud Van Nistelrooy  7/2
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer  5/1
Andy Cole  11/2
Paul Scholes  13/2
Dwight Yorke  7/1
David Beckham  8/1
Juan Sebastian Veron  12/1
Luke Chadwick  16/1
Quinton Fortune  16/1
Roy Keane  16/1
Nicky Butt  22/1
Denis Irwin  28/1
Laurent Blanc  28/1
David May  40/1
Mickael Silvestre  40/1
Phil Neville  40/1
Wes Brown  40/1
Gary Neville  50/1

Other bets:
Man Utd v Boavista
Double Result
Correct Score
Aggregate Goalscorers Shirt Numbers
Total Corners
How Many Corners Will There Be?
Total Bookings
Total Booking Points
Man Utd v Boavista
Scorecast

Spank bookie  http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0
here.

---------------------------------
[31] More in the SUN
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
by Gary

John Sadler (who else?)

United are critical in intensive care unit

Another European night at Old Trafford. But there has never been one
quite like this evening's visit of Boavista, who find themselves playing
not in the Theatre of Dreams but in football's equivalent of the
intensive care unit.

And so it drones on, with references to life-support machines etc. What
a twat.

Second item is a silly United story.

Alex refuses to spare Rod

Alex Ferguson's media blackout has taken the shine off Altincham striker
Rod Thornley's moment of FA Cup glory.

Thornley fired the Unibond outfit into a second round clash at home to
Darlington with his two goals against Lancaster. But Fergie's ban on any
employee speaking to the Press has caught Thornley - who works there as
a masseur.

Thornley, 24, is in demand after his first-round heroics but Fergie has
put a block on any interviews.

A spokesman for the Robins said: "Everybody wants to speak to Rod and
even Football Focus wanted to do a bit with him, He isn't doing
anything, though, because United won't let him."

Now Altrincham v Lancaster.. Hmmm.. the media interest wouldn't be
anything to do with the Old Trafford angle would it?

---------------------------------
[30] Ruud on Saturday's atmosphere
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
"the fans were unbelievable on saturday 3-0 down and they were still
singing, i have never seen that before"

---------------------------------
[29] Brian Clough knocks United
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Get the vodka bottles out

"Barthez looks at times as if he's had more red wine than I ever managed to drink. I
believe Alex dropped a clanger getting rid of Stam — a popular, efficient defender. I
wasn't the only one who raised an eyebrow over that piece of business. There is no
logical reason in footballing terms why Stam went and a slower Frenchman took his
place. Barthez looks at times as if he's had more red wine than I ever managed to
drink. He's far too erratic and he would drive me crackers if I were his manager. Alex
has the dilemma of whether to stick with him to save face after he's cocked up over
Stam and Blanc. It does give me a wry smile that United are discovering this season
that they can't win everything."

---------------------------------
[28] United to stage Champs League Final in 2003?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Old Trafford has made the shortlist to stage the 2003 Champions League
final - UEFA will decide who gets it next week.

---------------------------------
[27] McClaren odds go down for Utd job
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From BBC Online

'McClaren is now third favourite at 4-1 after punters forced his odds down from 20-1.

"Between 11.33 and 11.36 this morning we took 14 bets of up to £100 pounds a time for
McClaren to succeed Ferguson from telephone punters in Manchester, Blackburn, York,
London and Liverpool," said William Hill spokesman Graham Sharpe.

William Hill make England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson 6-4 favourite for the United job
with Celtic's Martin O'Neill second at 5-2.

United has been at the heart of takeover speculation.

And Irish racing magnates JP McManus and John Magnier - close associates of Ferguson -
have built up a stake in United.

Their Cubic Expression Company now owns a 8.65% stake, second only to
BSkyB's 9.9%.

"We can only assume that conspiracy theorists believe that friends of Fergie may be
poised for a takeover which would clear the way for McClaren to return," said Sharpe.

---------------------------------
[26] Fergie on press
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We've been successful for the last nine years and they've not had that
opportunity to have their tuppence worth"

---------------------------------
[25] The Indy on Brown injury
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
'This time it is his other leg. He had been in pain for the past few days, but the
crunch came in the build-up for tonight's Champions' League home game against
Boavista. Brown was taken for X-rays and it is feared that he could be out for six
months.'

---------------------------------
[24] Boavista midfielder on United
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Martelinho:

"I saw the game against Chelsea and you can see some anxiety, some nerves. But they
are one of the best teams in the world — and we can't expect Fabien Barthez to make
more mistakes."

---------------------------------
[23] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When we lost the first goal on Saturday there were nerves, even with this team that
can happen. I'm looking for some confidence from the players and an early goal against
Boavista will help us with that. By opening the competition up to more teams, UEFA
have made it tighter to win. What we need are performances like the one we put on away
to Bayern Munich."

---------------------------------
[22] Fergie on tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We have an opportunity to stabilise our rocking ship and win a breathing space that
will allow us to get to grips with the problems that have set us back in the
Premiership...Manchester United are not unbreakable. We have no divine rights to
expect football miracles indefinitely. I have never shirked a challenge because you
know that
the real test is handling this kind of situation."

---------------------------------
[21] Fergie on Keano-Fergie bust-up talk
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It's absolute nonsense and complete fabrication. This is what you're seeing all the
time. Roy is perfectly happy here. He  loves it here. These are the best moments of
his life."

---------------------------------
[20] Fergie on the press
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
talking to BBC Radio Five Live

"I had a press conference a couple of weeks ago and when I read what I was supposed to
have said I was staggered. I couldn't believe the quotes and headlines they used.
What's the point of doing a press conference if they are just going to tell  a pack of
lies? So I just don't see the point of it to be honest. It's got worse and worse,
definitely without question and I don't know where  it's going to end. I can't trust
any of them.  There are some excellent journalists, honest journalists, and respected
journalists.  But in the present situation you've got young people coming into the
game  and editors telling them what to do and put spin on things.  You're up against a
competitive animal, where they're all competing for  headline news. It's impossible to
change it."

---------------------------------
[19] Becks to be dropped tonight?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the SUN

'Tonight, Fergie could leave Beckham out — and it would be the first time in his
career he will have been dropped on form alone.

It is evidence of just how bad things have got at Old Trafford.

And it can hardly help Beckham's state of mind with another set of talks over his new
contract due in the next 10 days'

---------------------------------
[18] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We're having a bad spell, but we'll be back. Football is not just about being at the
top all the time, it's about accepting the challenge when things are not going right
and I have never shirked a challenge. Indeed, I relish this kind of challenge because
you know that the real test is handling this kind of situation. You have to correct
things when they're not going right and I know that our players are as determined as
me to sort out our problems. They are made of stern stuff and they won't buckle. This
is our opportunity to take a really important and positive step forward and one which
we must take"

---------------------------------
[17] Fergie on tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We've got to face facts in the Premiership and acknowledge that we've lost our grip
on the championship. It will take a lot of hard work and a stupendous run of form to
put us back into contention. To have lost five games so easily so early in the season
is my worst start to a season in the Premiership, so clearly there is no disguising
the seriousness of our position in terms of retaining the title. We're asking
questions, examining individuals, the team as a unit, our tactics and our own input as
management and coaching staff. We're looking to eradicate the problems, many of which
are of our own making in terms of mistakes. It's easy to panic at moments like this,
but that kind of reaction will get us nowhere. We will be a good side again, there is
no question about that, and it's just a matter of staying steady and working our way
through to better form. Manchester United are not unbreakable. We have no divine right
to expect football miracles indefinitely."

---------------------------------
[16] Boavista praise United
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Boavista Coach Jaime Pacheco:

"Manchester have a great team and they have some of the best players in the world.
Just because they are having this blip, it doesn't mean they won't play well on
Wednesday. It's difficult to say whether or not this is a good or bad time to be
playing  them. It could be good, but then they might suddenly start to play well
again. I must say as far as this crisis is concerned it would be better for Boavista
if it continues. We have to raise our standards and we have to make the best of this
opportunity. It is a privilege to be in this stadium, even as a visitor, and this is a
very important match in the careers of my players."

---------------------------------
[15] FA Youth Cup match report
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Posted by Alison to the IMUSa list

'I've just been to see a United team WIN a game!

QPR 1 - 3 United in the FA Youth Cup - and we were 1-0 down before we'd even got out
of the bar.  As it happens we had pulled it back to 1-1 before we got out of the bar
for the second half, so I'm glad we scored a couple more otherwise I may have been to
a game and seen none of the goals, which is most unlike me.

We made quite a bit of noise in the second half - to much glaring and tutting from all
the QPR fans.  At the end of the game a rather bemused youth team came over to applaud
their support - I don't suppose they expected to get any, but at least they made an
effort, which is more than can be said for the first team.

The kick off was delayed by 15 minutes to allow all the crowd in.  We'd phoned the
club earlier in the day and said previous experience of United's FA Youth Cup games in
London had meant a big crowds, so please would they open another stand for the away
fans.  They disagreed with us and said they only expected 2000, so their main stand
would be big enough.  It was full and they told us it holds over 6000 - only come to
see United.

Good game though.  Opinions, not that you care - Kieran Richardson looks good, but I'm
still disappointed with Darren Fletcher - don't think he'll make it, despite the hype
(which is of course the cue for him to become bigger than Georgie and I'll never live
it down).  Mads Timm looked good too, but the rest disappeared in an alcoholic haze -
they've got a very good club bar at QPR and it would have been rude not to take
advantage.

Lets hope the team on the pitch tomorrow (whoops, today - time for bed!) put in as
much effort as these lads did.'

---------------------------------
[14] Stam confirms what RN told you
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Latest extract in the Mirror confirms few Utd players speak to him

'
I SELDOM hear from any of my old colleagues at United. Not even from Ole Gunnar
Solskjaer. The only one I regularly speak to is Ruud van Nistelrooy.

That is the way it goes in football. Everyone is absorbed by their own troubles and is
busy at his own club. Friendships dissolve easily even if you don't want them to.

I had already noticed that when I was still playing in Holland and changed clubs
there. It's sad but I guess that's just the way it is.

But I was deeply disappointed in the club management at United and the way they acted.
Not once during the whole painful affair did they try to contact me. There was no
support from that side whatsoever.

That served only to make me more impressed by the attitude of Lazio. They made every
effort to show me that they really wanted me, which was important at such a difficult
time.A couple of their representatives travelled to Holland to talk to me and my
agents. That same day we flew to Italy on a private jet to close the deal.

Lazio eventually paid a transfer fee of £16.5million for me and I didn't suffer any
reductions compared to what I was earning at United.

The amount Lazio laid on the table had already shown they had confidence in me, but it
was particularly flattering that Lazio coach Dino Zoff told the press he had just
bought the best defender in the world. That appreciation meant a lot to me.

A few days later Inter Milan and Real Madrid also came for me, but I had made my
decision by then. I felt at home at Lazio.

Many roads lead to Rome and I had taken the fast lane. Because the season had already
started I had only two days before having to join the team.

Lazio play in the strongest league in the world. Unlike the Premiership, there are no
weak teams in the Serie A. Every team has stars and even the lower placed teams can
confront you with serious tactical difficulties. No victory is easy here, unlike in
the Premiership at times.

My friends and family were very surprised by my sudden move to the Italian club.
Everyone thought I would be playing in England for years to come.

I know that I wrote in my book that I would never choose to play in Italy. But I said
that when I moved from PSV Eindhoven to Manchester United. Ever since I was a kid and
watched English football on television I had wanted to play in England. I never
thought about Italy.

But it was the only logical place to go once United told me I was no longer wanted. I
couldn't go to another English club, and much had happened since I said I'd never play
in Italy.

I'd spent a holiday in Italy with my family and heard what it was like to play in the
Serie A from some of my colleagues in the Dutch team.

And, of course, I knew all about Lazio, a top side who I'd played against with United
in the European Super Cup. The way I had been forced to leave Manchester had deeply
hurt me, but I was instantly drawn into a new life in Rome. Right from the start Lazio
demanded all my attention.

I have to admit the language is still a bit of a problem. In England we could make
ourselves understood from the moment we arrived. But I didn't learn Italian in school.
When I arrived at Lazio, I only knew about five words in Italian.

But during my first training sessions I quickly learned the words most commonly used
on the pitch. The club hired a language teacher and she comes to our house to teach
the family about three times a week.

>From the very first day in Rome I have felt very content. Lazio is a beautiful club,
>with a fantastic group of players, a wonderful stadium and excellent facilities.

While it rained constantly in Manchester, the temperature here is 25 degrees and we
can sit outside on our terrace until late in the evening. The kids play in the open
air all day and since we moved here they have not had a cold once - quite different
from our time in Manchester. After a difficult start, I'm really happy here.'

---------------------------------
[13] But another view on Brown is...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Fergie maintained the injury was only "a nick on the knee", according to The Times,
and that Brown might still feature in the game with Boavista.

---------------------------------
[12] Means the team tonight may well be
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thanks to the Birdman for this

Fab, P Nev, G Nev, Larry, Silvestre/Irwin, Butt, Scholes, Veron, Keane,
Yorke, Ruud.

Utd are worried as the  injury is to the other knee - not the one that kept Brown out
for a year. Test results should be known tomorrow, possibly later in the week. United
are now looking for an urgent replacement - Hofland.

I said it at the time but if Jaap had decided to stay with that 'sub offer' he would
have got a game sooner or later.

---------------------------------
[11] Brown out for the season? - terrible news
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the SUN

'ALEX FERGUSON was hit by another hammer blow yesterday when Wes Brown suffered an
injury expected to rule him out for the season.

Brown's knee problem leaves his World Cup hopes in tatters and Manchester United's
already wretched season in deeper trouble.

The young central defender has been sent for scans on his left knee after pulling up
in pain during training, with fears that he has suffered knee ligament problems.

In a sickening repeat of his nightmare two years ago - when he was hit by cruciate
damage in his right knee - Brown broke down dramatically.

This time it is the other leg that is the problem and it casts a dark shadow over
Ferguson's plans as well as those of England coach Sven Goran Eriksson. The
22-year-old complained

of pain for the past few days after training and also following the defeat by Chelsea
on Saturday.

But the crunch came in the build-up for the Champions League clash with Boavista and
Brown had to be taken for X-rays.

United are anxiously awaiting the results and a diagnosis that will probably mean
Brown's season is over for club and country.

England coach Eriksson would also lose Brown from his squad for next summer's finals
if the news is bad, though he at least has cover.'

---------------------------------
[10] United win
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by bar-knee:
QPR 1 Unite d3 in the Youth Cup.

By our man on the spot: 'Decent second half display after being 1-0 down at the break.
About 200 Reds, even singing at the end - 4,000 there and the kid to watch - in style
and looks, the new Giggsy? Keiron Richardson. They've been raving about him on MUTV
and they are right. He looks the part'.

---------------------------------
[9] Tonight's other fixtures
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by redend:
European Cup
Barcelona vs   Galatasaray
Manchester Utd vs   Boavista
Nantes vs   B. Munich
Roma vs   Liverpool

English Premier
Chelsea vs   Charlton
West Ham vs   Aston Villa

---------------------------------
[8] Last night's results
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by redend:
European Cup
Arsenal 3-1    Juventus
B. Leverkusen 3-0    Deportivo FC
Porto 0-1    Sparta Prague
Real Madrid 3-0    Panathinaikos

Oh & city won at Millwall with Keegan getting sent off.

---------------------------------
[7] Ref tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by redend:
By Statto

Tonights referee is Antonio Jesus Lopez Nieto (Spain)

He previously refereed our home defeat by Munich last season (3rd April 2001) giving
out 4 yellow cards in the process.

---------------------------------
[6] Half Time : Full Time
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by redend:
Manchester United | Manchester United    5/4
Manchester United | Draw    18/1
Manchester United | Boavista    33/1
Draw | Manchester United    4/1
Draw | Draw    11/2
Draw | Boavista    16/1
Boavista | Manchester United    28/1
Boavista | Draw    16/1
Boavista | Boavista    12/1

RHT: Getting more cautious : Draw | Manchester United    4/1

Burn cash  http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 here

---------------------------------
[5] More Boavista form
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by redend:
By Statto

Currently third in their league with solid home form Won 5 Drawn 1 Lost 0 with 15
goals FOR and only one conceded. However, encouragingly for tonight, Away form is not
so hot with Won 3 Drawn 1 Lost 3 with a negative one goal difference of 9 goals FOR
and 10 conceded

TEAMNAME P HW HD HL HGF HGA AW AD AL AGF AGA Points GD
Benfica 13 5 2 0 12 5 2 4 0 10 7 27 +10
Sporting Lisbon 13 4 1 1 11 2 4 1 2 18 8 26 +19
Boavista 13 5 1 0 15 1 3 1 3 9 10 26 +13 FC
Porto 13 5 0 2 16 4 3 1 2 9 6 25 +15

---------------------------------
[4] Boavista Euro Form
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by redend:
By Statto

Won last home match v Nantes and lost last away in Kiev in 1st Group Phase

DWWLDLW

European Cup Liverpool 1 - 1 Boavista 11-09-2001
European Cup Boavista 3 - 1 Dynamo Kiev 19-09-2001
European Cup Boavista 2 - 1 B. Dortmund 26-09-2001
European Cup B. Dortmund 2 - 1 Boavista 16-10-2001
European Cup Boavista 1 - 1 Liverpool 24-10-2001
European Cup Dynamo Kiev 1 - 0 Boavista 30-10-2001
European Cup Boavista 1 - 0 Nantes 20-11-2001

---------------------------------
[3] You know the score ...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by redend:
Manchester United to Win by:

1-0  6/1
2-0  6/1
2-1  8/1
3-0  10/1
3-1  10/1
3-2  33/1
4-0  22/1
4-1  22/1
4-2  50/1

RHT: 3-1 .... hopefully

 http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 SportingOdds

---------------------------------
[2] Boavista Domestic Form
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by redend:
By Statto

They drew 1-1 on Saturday away at Salgueiros

Last 5 results WWWLD

Portuguese Division 1 Boavista 3 - 0 Sp. Braga 20-10-2001
Portuguese Division 1 Boavista 5 - 0 Pacos Ferreira 06-11-2001
Portuguese Cup Boavista 3 - 0 Uniao Leiria 16-11-2001
Portuguese Division 1 Sporting Lisbon 2 - 0 Boavista 26-11-2001
Portuguese Division 1 Salgueiros 1 - 1 Boavista 01-12-2001

---------------------------------
[1] United win most likely result ..
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2001 by redend:
... according to  http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0
the bookies and don't worry this is
http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 SportingOdds - not
a red eyed bookie like Fred Done.

Manchester United    8/15
Boavista    9/2
Draw    5/2

 http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 SportingOdds

---------------------------------
[30] An appeal by a Red to Reds
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2001 by bar-knee:
Had this sent in to us

'We are fed up with the attention being turned on the day trippers, particulary in
Euro games, by tv companies who focus on rows of gloryhunters.

We want to get the atmosphere noticed. We are trying to create an electric atmosphere.
One suggestion is to issue everyone in the first few rows of the 2nd and 3rd tiers
with toilet rolls and till rolls. To be thrown when to teams enter the stadium. I know
it's short notice, but with your help, this could be in place for the Boavista game,
being continued into every European game. Please, place an appeal for people to bring
toilet rolls and till rolls, etc, to help create this.

Cheers, Tufty'

---------------------------------
[29] Ralphie, Ralphie
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2001 by bar-knee:
Ralph Milne on Fergie:

 From Teamtalk

"Alex Ferguson will get United back on track, I have no doubts about that. He was
under a bit of pressure in the first season I was there but we ended up winning the FA
Cup (in 1990). Fergie is a brilliant boss to work for - the best - and he will come
through. I had the famous hair dryer treatment a couple of times off Fergie, but I
loved playing for him. I have no real regrets about my time at Old Trafford because it
was fantastic just to have played for the club.  I played most of my games for United
on the left, even though I was a right-sided player, and ideally I would have played
on the right. Ryan Giggs was coming through at the time and even then he was a
fantastic talent. He has so much pace and ability and is a brilliant player."

---------------------------------
[28] Gallagher the Red
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2001 by bar-knee:
www.football365.com is reporting (in their mediawatch section) that
www.peoplenews.com is reporting (I know, sorry, but I thought I should
get the attributions correct) that Patsy Kensit is upsetting the
Gallagher brother she used to be married to (Liam), by bringing up
their son as a Man Utd fan...

The son is apparently called Lennon.

Paul.

---------------------------------
[27] Keano speaks - AND IS HAPPY AT UNITED
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the manutd.com website - apparently speaking at the training centre today...

"It was a solid performance in Munich, but we were aware we almost lost it with the
last kick of the game. That's the sort of thing that can happen in Europe. Tomorrow
night we will treat Boavista with the respect they deserve. It's going to be a tough
game. The players are as determined as ever. We are not playing as well as we can, but
hopefully we'll get going on Wednesday night. The manager, fans and staff deserve
better and it's down to the players. We're confident we can get it right.

"I can reassure the fans that personally speaking I've never been happier at the club.
I'm determined to turn things around."

That last line sounds like a response to the allegations made of a bust-up about him
playing in defence etc.