RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[13] Gallows humour
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
Being sung at half time in Tier 2 (to the Glasgow tune)

Follow, follow, follow, cos Utd are going Intertoto
It's no word of a lie, we're going to be playing in July
Cos Utd are going Intertoto.

---------------------------------
[12] Capello clear up the confusion
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
"There were peole from the club here when I gave that interview and I've never said I
wanted to join United. What I did was answer a question: 'Would you go to coach
Manhester United?'

"I said it would be an honour to think thah United would consider me. It was the same
when I was chosen by Real Madrid.

"Clubs like Barcelona, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Juventus, Milan and
Inter are great. It's not that I want to coach these teams - it's just that I would be
honoured if they chose me, it's different."

---------------------------------
[11] McClaren: Don't write Utd off
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
"As for United, no matter what has happened recently - including yesterday's home
defeat - I still believe they are England's best team with the best players. I
wouldn't dream of passing judgment on what has been said about them recently or what
is supposed to be going on, but I do have a word of caution to all those writing off
Manchester United's season now - in December. I know that dressing room and I know
what the United staff have to offer. It may be just around the corner - and it could
still be an unbeaten run."

"I know the players and manager so well that what is being said and written about them
day by day will only fuel their motivation. It is not as if they are not capable and
we saw a little of that against Boavista last week. They have shown it before - indeed
it happened last year. They can have a bit of a scratchy start and suddenly they get
into their stride and gallop away in February, March, April. I would not bet against
them doing it again."

---------------------------------
[10] A third man
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
The Observer claims the identity of a third Irishman who's bought a stake in Utd is OJ
'Ossie' Kilkenny, a bean counter who handles U2's commercial affairs. Apparently he's
a Utd fan (aren't they all!) who is a former associate of Dermot Desmond, head of the
Coolmore mafia.

More worringly the article claims Mick Hucknall is prepared to back them and buy into
the club.

That's the pre-match and half time tunes knackered then.

---------------------------------
[9] Batigol blames Simeone
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
'Simeone has got a lot of people sent off, not just Beckham - I think it was more
Simeone's fault than Beckham's.'

'Beckham is Beckham. He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. It isn't easy to
play against Simeone, you know.'

---------------------------------
[8] Sven says 'no chance'
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
I have never even thought about going to Manchester United. I will be with England for
ages."

"I am with England to the World Cup and beyond. I see myself in this job for a long,
long time."

---------------------------------
[7] Fergie on the ginger weeble
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
"I thought it was a penalty, but I would need to see it again," he said.

"You always need to clarify these things, but in the first half, I thought it was a
clear penalty kick.

"But Paul Durkin has never given us a penalty kick no matter what the circumstances
are.

"I remember the cup tie last year, he turned two diabolical handballs down against us.

"He's continued to do that and I'm disappointed in him."

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie puts players first
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
Talkig about Becks, Ruud and Sabre:

"They were rested,"

"Ruud was very tired after Wednesday, very, very tired, which is not surprising and he
has come into the English game and played a lot of football," said Ferguson.

"Really he was off for a year before he came so he needed the break."

---------------------------------
[5] The miracle worker
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
As Fergie says:

"It puts us in a precarious situation now and I think it's almost impossible now.

"I think it will take a miracle. I think the first thing we have to do is pick up our
form.

"There were some failures today and we have to something about that. The first half
was disappointing because we never got the tempo going and we allowed them to dictate
the passing in the match.

"We never squeezed the game like we did on Wednesday so the focus we had on Wednesday
was lost today."

---------------------------------
[4] Latest title odds
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
Us 9-1
YSB's 8-11
Arse 11-4
Sheep 11-2

---------------------------------
[3] Roeder expected the lash
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
"I was a little bit surprised to be truthful when I got the teamsheet," he said.

"I did look at it two or three times in case I had missed them. But I still think they
had some big players and it was still a wonderful team that started.

"On the back of losing to Chelsea last week we were expecting a bit of a backlash.

"We know it was going to be a very difficult game and I can only be full of praise for
the performance of my players at both ends of the pitch."

---------------------------------
[2] An 'appy 'ammer
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
"I was very fortunate to play here many times and I never came away with a victory,"
he said.

"So to come here, bring a team here as a manager and to come away with a victory is
special.

"It's definitely my best day in management."

---------------------------------
[1] Roeder reckons we will be back
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, December 9, 2001 by tb:
As Roeder says:

"They're obviously in one of those cycles that's lasting longer than it's ever done
before."

"One thing that is absolutely clear is that they will come through it.

"I suppose everyone is asking will they come through it in time to claim the
championship?

"I still say only an absolute fool would write them off because at some stage,
starting soon, they can go on an unbeaten run between now and the rest of the season.

"If their four or five rivals keep beating each other and take points against each
other, then I'm sure that will bring them back into the title race."