RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[27] Ooops
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From today's Mirror

'EXCLUSIVE: Ferdinand will be England's skipper in the World Cup if Beckham KO'd

By David McDonnell'

Not quite.

---------------------------------
[26] Senior Cup victory
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Bury 0 United 1

But it's Bury-siddy in the Final

United's goal from Muirhead

BURY: Rowe, Tarsus, Kennedy, Thompson (Blackley), Abbiss, Maden, Morris, Winstanley,
Whiteman, Martin (Morris), Whaley (Coote). Sub not used: Bell.

UNITED: Williams, Clegg, Rankin, Tate, Cogger, Sampson, Mooniaruck (Johnson),
Humphreys, Heath (Poole), Muirhead, Richardson. Subs not used: K Taylor, Jowsey, Sims.

---------------------------------
[26] Bergkamp concern
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We are top of the Premiership and in the cup final. Yes, the Double is still on — but
we have not won anything yet. In fact, we could easily have lost this game. We should
be careful and must play a lot better or teams will punish us."

---------------------------------
[25] Blanc hope?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
his agent Oscar Damiani hints he might stay on for a year if United offer a deal.

---------------------------------
[24] Kenyon dismisses Nesta talk
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
“These stories are absolute rubbish. We are concentrating on finishing the season. We
are not getting into transfer activity until the end of the season.”

---------------------------------
[23] Scottish chaos ahead?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From PA

'The 10 Scottish Premier League clubs outside of Celtic and Rangers have announced
their intention to quit the league.

The decision comes after the collapse of SPL TV last week, when Celtic and Rangers
vetoed the proposed new television channel.

The remaining clubs were angered by the decision, and have now proposed to resign from
the SPL with two seasons' notice.'

---------------------------------
[22] Wes Brown wants a game
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I could be a little fitter but things are going well for me. You have always got to
have hope that you will get into the squad. All I can do is look to get a few games
under my belt and play well when I am selected. I know that I have to be playing
regularly if I want to force my way into Sven’s squad.  I’ve only played a few reserve
matches and in last week’s Champions League game against Deportivo La Coruna. No
matter what, you want the best available England team to be fit for selection and, of
course, I want Sol and Ugo to be ready for the World Cup. But if they aren’t other
people will be selected and it’s up to them to take their chance. As for United, I
don’t know the gaffer’s plans.  If Ronny Johnsen isn’t going to be ready for the end
of the campaign, hopefully he will pick me. I’m just happy to getting a run of games
again.”

---------------------------------
[21] Saint Michael trys to act Saintly
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"When the manager told me I was straight on the phone to mum and dad and friends and
family. It was a complete surprise. People had been naming a few that could get it but
it was a surprise and a pleasant one. (Being at Anfield) completes it all, in front of
your home fans on the pitch you know best. It's something I've always dreamed of, to
get it at 22 is sooner than I imagined. It's going to be a great occasion. Everyone
knows David is the captain and we have Rio (Ferdinand) and Sol (Campbell) and they are
big candidates. I am not expecting to be captain during the World Cup - I would jump
at the chance - but there are plenty of others who are up to the job."

---------------------------------
[20] Not just us who think it
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
The Times

' In a move that smacks of paranoia, Liverpool, second in the table, have asked for
their home match against Blackburn Rovers moved to  the same night as Manchester
United’s match against Arsenal, removing any possible risk of collusion between their
two championship rivals. '

---------------------------------
[19] Song of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Variation on the city are a massive club song.

They've been in 7 different divisions in 8 years,
They've been in 7 different divisions in 8 years,
They've been in 7 different divisions in 8 years,
Coz city are a Yo Yo Club  ( and obviously Massive and bitter)

Seamus

---------------------------------
[18] More from David Platt
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
“If Wes hadn’t had so many injuries, he’d probably still be in the senior squad.
Sometimes it takes a while to recover, but he’s like a Rolls-Royce — there’s always
something left in him. He knows he has a chance of going to the World Cup, quite a few
of my lads do, but we can’t decide anything until nearer the time."

---------------------------------
[17] More from Wes Brown
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
“I suppose, just maybe, I have a chance of going to Japan but you always want the best
national side to go, the best team to be picked, and I hope that those who’ve got
injuries will recover in time.  I’ve only got back myself recently, after an ankle
injury, and although I’m feeling good, I could be a bit fitter. You look at the World
Cup and you hope, of course you do, but I need more games under my belt with United. I
need to be playing regularly.”

---------------------------------
[16] Barthez injury not serious?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Jean-Marcel Ferret told the French federation's website that there was "no apparent
seriousness" to the injury.

---------------------------------
[15] More 'Veron off' stories
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
is ony in the Daily Star though. Who reckon
'Barcelona could offer Manchester United Michael Reiziger in a player-plus-cash deal
for Juan Sebastian Veron'.

Paddy Harverson denied that he'd be on his way out of OT on MUTV last night - but
didn't deny or confirm on another story that Veron was in Italy still receiving
treatment on that injury.

---------------------------------
[14] Terry Butcher would have had Gary Nev
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
as England captain

"The players respect him. He has had a magnificent career for Manchester United so and
hopefully an even better one for England this summer. It would be a good choice. He is
steady, professional and the players respect him.Gareth Southgate is in and out of
team and Gary Neville, if fit, has always been there or there about."

---------------------------------
[13] Saint Michael mania again?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Owen named England stand in captain.

---------------------------------
[12] Becks to dj on Radio 1
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
PA story

'Dreem Teem's DJ Spoony says it's fantastic that David Beckham is to be a DJ for Radio
1.

The Manchester United star is to join The Dreem Teem next month to play his favourite
records.

Spoony describes Beckham as "a legend".

Beckham asked the DJs if he could appear as a guest on their Sunday morning programme
after meeting them at a showbiz party.

Spoony told The Sun: "Becks is a legend and to have him on the show is fantastic."

---------------------------------
[11] Bayer confident for next week
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Bayer Leverkusen coach Klaus Toppmoller

"We are not going as tourists. We want to win. After kicking out Liverpool I promised
their manager Gerard Houllier we would also kick out their Manchester rivals."

---------------------------------
[10] Mikael on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Silvestre

"We will keep our heads high. I can understand that missing the World Cup would be
disappointing and hard for Beckham. He did not play brilliantly in France 98 and this
was a good opportunity for him to show he can do better."

---------------------------------
[9] We get Nesta?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
So the SUN reckons

' ALESSANDRO NESTA will sign for Manchester United this summer in a £30million deal.

And the Lazio captain's move to Old Trafford is the reason why the Italians will not
sell former United star Jaap Stam.

Premiership promotion hopefuls Wolves are the second English club to be told in recent
weeks that £10m-rated Stam is going nowhere.

A Lazio official informed the Molineux club the 29-year-old Dutch international would
not be leaving.

They insist Stam stays because Alex Ferguson has already bagged his defensive
team-mate.

Stam — also chased by Kevin Keegan's Manchester City — had insisted he did not want a
return to England but would be prepared to go back to his native Holland.

United boss Ferguson travelled to the Italian capital last month to watch Nesta in the
Rome derby.

But the 26-year-old Italy ace had a nightmare and was taken off at half-time in a 5-1
thrashing.

Yet Fergie still believes Nesta will add some strength to a rearguard which has been
rocky this season.'

---------------------------------
[8] Dyer reckons Becks will make World Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Even if there is a doubt about David, the coach will still take him. Michael Owen and
David are the only two players in that situation. If I were injured like that, I
wouldn't go to the World Cup. But I feel David will be fit for the first game of the
finals."

---------------------------------
[7] Kieron Dyer confident he can do a Becks for England
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I have been reading that I am the man to replace David Beckham and I don't feel under
any pressure about that. I am a confident lad and have always had a great belief in my
own ability. If I'm asked to take over from David, it won't worry me. I just regard it
as a compliment that I am being asked to fill such an important role."

---------------------------------
[6] Wes Brown happy
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I would like to go to the World Cup, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but I
would be pleased with the Under-21s. It would be a really big bonus. You can get
injured at any time and you just have to handle it. The first one could have ended my
career so you do look at things in a different way. I played a few reserve games, I
played against Deportivo and I'm basically just getting back and feeling good."

---------------------------------
[5] David Platt on Wes Brown
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"He was in the quarter-finals of the Champions League last week and United brought him
on as substitute. If he is good enough to play in that game then I don't see any
problems with his fitness. He has been unlucky with injuries and without them you
would argue he would be in the seniors. The potential was there for everyone to see."

---------------------------------
[4] Barthez injury worry?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Telegraph

'there was a fresh injury scare for United yesterday when French goalkeeper Fabien
Barthez fell awkwardly and hurt his right knee during training for his country's
friendly with Russia tomorrow night in Paris. He needed an ice pack on his knee but
there was no indication as to the extent of the injury.'

---------------------------------
[3] Afraid, worried, nervous?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Why do Liverpool want to move their game to the same night as our clash with Arsenal.
It's not the final game of the season so why should it matter to a side only 'games
from greatness'. Surely as Phil Honkson said last week, they only think about their
own games and not the results of others. Not nervous by any chance. After all, it has
been so long...

---------------------------------
[2] Arsenal game on May 7th or 8th
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Christopher Davies in the Telegraph

'MANCHESTER UNITED and Arsenal are involved in a disagreement over the date of their
Premiership showdown at Old Trafford next month.

United want the game brought forward 24 hours from May 8 to May 7 because it would
help their preparation for the Champions League final on May 15 should Sir Alex
Ferguson's team beat Bayer Leverkusen in the semi-finals.

Arsenal have objected, preferring the match to be played on the original date. And, as
the championship chase reaches a thrilling climax, Liverpool have asked for their
match against Blackburn to be switched from May 5 to the same date as the
United-Arsenal clash so their title rivals do not have an unfair advantage by knowing
the Merseysiders' result.

By bringing the game against Arsenal forward it would mean United playing three games
in nine days - (May 7 Arsenal, May 12 Charlton, May 15 Champions League final) -
rather than three matches in eight days.

While appreciating and sympathising with United's reasons, Arsenal are against the
switch because they play Chelsea in the FA Cup final on May 4. The Gunners would
prefer a further 24 hours to recover from the final, which could go to extra time, and
prepare for what could be a Premiership decider.

United have a free weekend when the FA Cup final is played in Cardiff so would be
fresher for the visit of Arsenal. The Premier League have asked United and Arsenal for
their observations and if the clubs cannot reach an agreement, the League's board will
make a ruling.

Liverpool feel it is best for the integrity of the Premiership if they play Blackburn
at the same time as the Old Trafford match. The League are likely to make decisions on
both fixtures before the second leg of United's Champions League semi-final against
Leverkusen on April 30.

For planning, policing and television purposes they cannot leave it that late - the
Old Trafford game will almost certainly be on Sky Sports but not as pay-per-view.'

---------------------------------
[1] Send us your memories/moments of the season!
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
The deadline for our end of season special - issue 86 - is Thursday 25th April

We're looking for your moments/memories/songs for the season for our end of season
special.

Funny/sad/on field/off it, send anything and everything to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

send them in now to beat the rush!

We're also looking for any good on or off pitch photos you may have from this season.
If you do, get in touch. Thanks.

---------------------------------
[40] Arsenal date confusion
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
One thing you can discard is the possibility that it will be moved to the last game of
the season. RN can reveal THAT WILL NOT be happening under any circumstances.
Charlton, home, 11th May, 3pm is our final league game of the season.

---------------------------------
[39] Liverpool join Arsenal fixture date row
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From football365

"Liverpool are to ask the Premier League if their clash with Blackburn Rovers can be
played on the same night Manchester United take on Arsenal.

The Reds are scheduled to meet Graeme Souness' side on May 5, three days before the
clash between United and Arsenal.

They are going to ask the Premier League for both matches to be played on the same
night - May 8.

The Anfield side are concerned their championship rivals will play their potentially
decisive encounter, already knowing how Liverpool have performed in their penultimate
match of the season.

A decision from the Premier League is expected shortly"

---------------------------------
[38] Miracles happen?

Just £16.50 for ten issues in the UK.

A bargain.

---------------------------------
[37] A Red Perspective
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
by Red Belly

Watched Leverkusen and Real Madrid in their weekend league fixtures.

They are most certainly beatable.

This is not of course to say it'll be easy.

We can learn from Liverpool's two games with Bayer. If we get at
them at OT we can expose them, and then it'll be a question of taking our chances.
I'm confident we can win 2-0, 3-0 or 3-1 at OT and that we can score over there. That
SHOULD do it for us.

I had predicted Bayern would beat Real, but now that Real face Barca in the semi I'm
pretty confident that Real will overcome them. But last night against Osasuna they
showed a distinctly jittery side to their game which has previously been in evidence
against Bayern this year and in last seasons semi.They can also be very indisciplined.
The games against Barca are big "derby" games but I still expect Real will be too good
for 'em. Real seem to me to be a team who have so many star names and are so highly
regarded that when they get close to the prize the weight of expectation becomes
enormous. If things in a final go
their way and they take the lead they are capable of turning on the style and turning
anyone over. But faced with a team that gets
at them, and who takes the lead they seem to get very frustrated and indisciplined
more easily than most sides. Their superstar players can "disappear" from the game in
those circumstances.

IF United get to play Real in Glasgow I have a gut feeling we'll do
'em. Don't ask me why, I'm not exactly sure, I can see  some
weaknesses in them but I can see their strengths and our weaknesses too. It's just a
feeling.

Whatever should happen now, whether we go out at the semi-final stage, lose the final
or win the thing, those who claimed "we have NO chance of winning the CL this year",
have already been proven wrong. We're in the last 4 with EVERY chance of winning it
now, all that remains to be seen is whether we actually do or not.

Chelsea on Saturday is a big game in so many ways. We MUST win it or our league season
is virtually over. But answer me this though, after losing at home to West Ham would
you have settled for top 3 and CL semi final with 4 weeks to go?

The shirts have been brilliant over the last 4 months, possibly the best run of form,
entertainment and performances, especially in Europe that we've seen in the last ten
years, with the possible exception of the treble year.

These are great days for United fans and big prizes are coming into focus. Remember
what it felt like to have nothing to play for from March on? Remember mid-table
obscurity?

Don't just "believe", don't just "follow follow".

ENJOY!

---------------------------------
[36] Arsenal game confusion
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
What is the problem then?

>From the official site

'The new date of United's home Premiership match with Arsenal, originally confirmed as
May 8, will have to be changed again.
The Gunners were due to play the Reds this weekend, but FA Cup commitments meant the
game had to be switched to later in the season.
May 8 was the agreed date, but a problem has arisen and another new date will have to
be found.'

---------------------------------
[35] Transfer gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
A few papers continue to link us with centre-back, Fabio Cannavaro

---------------------------------
[34] Seagulls tackle Becks' tackler
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
Aldo Duscher

"These have been very difficult days for me and my family. I could hardly sleep and I
hope all this ends as soon as possible. Maybe the worst thing is that seven or eight
English journalists appeared at my house and I had no idea what would happen. I was
chased by them and they gave me the impression I had done something terrible. It's
very hard when all of the press of one country is attacking you. Honestly, I never
thought the action would be so significant, but I am calmer after having talked to
Beckham."

---------------------------------
[33] Becks new deal to be signed
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From MEN

'DAVID Beckham will have a new Manchester United contract in his pocket when he goes
to the World Cup with England.

The injured national captain can concentrate on getting himself fit from his broken
left foot for the trip to Japan and possibly a date with the Reds’ at the Champions
League final in the knowledge that his Old Trafford deal saga is close to fruition.

The 26-year-old, who is set to become the Premiership’s highest paid player, has said
yes to United’s contract and there is nothing left to agree.

Now the club and Beckham’s lawyer’s are going through the paperwork with a fine
toothcomb to ensure everything is in place before he signs.

The club remain confident they’ll have the midfielder’s signature on the deal before
he goes to the Far East.'

---------------------------------
[32] More from a happy Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
''This is the proudest moment so far in my career. I have been voted by the players of
the Premier League and that is the best league in Europe at the moment. That makes me
feel proud. Playing for Manchester United is a fantastic feeling, but then again so is
just playing, because when I was injured there were doubts I would play again.”

---------------------------------
[31] Ruud thanks us for award
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I'm so grateful to the fans of United because they gave me a great welcome. From the
very first day they lifted my game so much so I owe them a big thank you"

---------------------------------
[30] Sven on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I do not need to find a new captain for the World Cup. "I already have one - his name
is David Beckham."

---------------------------------
[29] Ruud on Denis Law
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I've heard a lot about Denis and have seen a lot of videos of him.  I have not met
him yet but he is still at United and it is one of my aims to meet him. I'm looking
forward to that.  But I don't think his record will ever be broken - it's such a great
amount of goals."

---------------------------------
[28] Ruud on his 8 goals in 8 games run
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
"That was a great run and the nicest thing was that United won all eight of those
games to put ourselves back in contention for the title. That was very special for me"

---------------------------------
[27] Worth a bet
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
We are now 11-2 for the title.

---------------------------------
[26] He doesn't even look like him
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
The SUN has the story of a 'lookalike' David Beckham (who if truth be told looks more
like anyone else in the world but Becks) who has also 'busted' the 'same foot bone' as
the England skipper. Wow.

The Mirror also has two letters complaining that Fergie picked Becks last week when he
had the initial injury and that United should have had more consideration for the
international team.

---------------------------------
[25] More Sven on Brown
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
"He could get into the World Cup squad. He is in consideration. He was before he got
injured and if he comes back at the same level and has some games for United, he will
be again. It would be good to go to the World Cup with four centre-halves who normally
play in that position."

---------------------------------
[24] Keano in light training
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
according to Teamtalk

---------------------------------
[23] Arsenal date yet to be confirmed
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
This in from United:

'Please note the date of the Arsenal game has NOT yet been finalised. We will let
everyone know as soon as it has.'

---------------------------------
[22] Chris Waddle backs Gerrard for Becks spot
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
"When I saw him playing on the right, my immediate reaction was he is an ideal
replacement for Beckham.  There are a lot of variations available, but Gerrard has the
flair to play out in that position.  And he would be a great success because he is a
wonderful player.  He is an all-round footballer and, although he doesn't take people
on, he lets the ball do the work.  He sees the pass early, in fact he has a great
range of passes.  If he stays fit - and I hope he does for England - then he will be
one of our best players in the World Cup."

---------------------------------
[21] Song of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
I know it's getting long in the tooth but I enjoyed singing these at the Scousers over
here, really p***es them off.

Follow Follow Follow
Coz the Scousers aren't going to Glasgow,
They got put on their back,
By Michael Ballak,
Coz the Scousers arent going to Glasgow,

Who scored 4 and wiped the floor,
Bayer, bayer,
who scored 4 and wiped the floor,
Bayer Lever kusen!!!

Seamus

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.