RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[34] Bayer coach: League more important
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by tb:
"It's a shame that David Beckham and Roy Keane are not playing, because in the
semi-finals it is best for all players to be available to play.

"I am looking forward to it immensely - the question of how we keep hold of Ryan
Giggs, how we control Veron, as well as coping with van Nistelrooy. These are the
questions I am excited about.

"We are lucky to have all of our players fit, so we can start with our best eleven,
and we are lucky to be playing the first game away.

"But the Bundelsiga title is more important to us, never having won it."

---------------------------------
[33] More scouse praise
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by tb:
Alan Kennedy in the MEN:

"Ryan Giggs could be a key because if Sir Alex Ferguson plays him in the role behind
Ruud van Nistelrooy then Ballack may have to concentrate his effort on looking after
Ryan.” said Kennedy.

"It would be strange for Ballack to have to look after someone else.”

Kennedy warns that Ballack may only hit his true heights next week in Germany in the
second leg just as he did against the Anfielders to turn a 1-0 deficit into a 5-3
quarter final triumph.

"United have more than enough quality in their own midfield to look after him."

"Possibly a big mistake for Liverpool was taking Didi Hamann off because that allowed
Ballack to go on even more forays forward.

"United will certainly have to be very aware of his threat. But I expect United will
make it through to the final. They are scoring and not conceding many and that will
suit a tie against Bayer Leverkusen."

---------------------------------
[32] Hoolahoop's dream team
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by tb:
>From the MEN

HOULLIER’S DREAM TEAM: (1992-2002): Kahn (Bayern); Tassotti (AC Milan), Roberto Carlos
(Real Madrid), Franco Baresi (AC Milan), Maldini (AC Milan); Beckham (United), Keane
(United) Rijkaard (Ajax/AC Milan), Giggs (United); Raul (Real Madrid), Shevchenko (AC
Milan).

Well, lets face it, none of the above are likely to risk their hubcaps in reality are
they!

---------------------------------
[31] In other words, we aint interested
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by tb:
David Weir on move from the toffees:

"I have heard the Manchester United talk, but I don't think there is anything much in
it. Things like this come up from time to time.

"As far as I'm concerned I'm happy here at Everton, and for me it is a great club. I
want to stay here and be part of what is happening with the new manager.

"When I came here from Hearts there were other clubs in for me, but Everton was the
right club at the right time and for me nothing has changed. I like it at Goodison,
I'm happy and I don't want to leave."

Nice try Mr Agent!

---------------------------------
[30] Weather for next week
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by tb:
Thanks to Weatherman Derek for the following:

Hi guys,
in case anyones going the Cologne area weather isn't up to much from
Saturday onwards, chilly at night, so-so in the daytime with rain likely for
some of the time.

Derek

Cologne Weather outlook 27th April ~ 1st May
Sat
27 Apr      Cloudy     10°C     3°C
Sun Index: 4 Low

Sun
28 Apr      Rain     12°C     3°C
Sun Index: 2 Minimal

Mon
29 Apr      Scattered Showers     12°C     4°C
Sun Index: 4 Low

Tue
30 Apr      Mostly Cloudy     13°C     4°C
Sun Index: 4 Low

Wed
1 May      Cloudy     14°C     5°C

---------------------------------
[29] More Fergie on Bayer
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Complacency is a big danger, but I think we have afforded the proper credit to
Leverkusen and their coach. It's fantastic what they have achieved. I know they have
been second so many times so I hope they win the league because they are the best team
in Germany. OK they had a bad result on Saturday when they lost to Werder Bremen, but
I hope they win the league."

---------------------------------
[28] More Fergie on 1999
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It was a rollercoaster in 1999. It never stopped. We were playing
Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday-Wednesday. The real likeness is in the spirit. Like then,
the spirit now is very good. The players are a great bunch of lads and whatever they
achieve they do it together. Of course we wish Roy Keane and David Beckham were
playing, but there's something about this team's spirit. And the spirit of this team
will make sure that we will be at our very best. For David and Roy it's important that
we win for them and I think that gives us a chance."

---------------------------------
[27] More from Kalus the Bayer coach
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I think all the teams in the semi-final can win the trophy - that is football. Look
at the beginning at those teams tipped for the top and how many are still standing. If
it was not like this then football would be boring. Manchester United are the
favourites because they have had great international success over the past few years.
They are in the top three in Europe along with Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. But our
players want to play their best and show they can be measured against the great
players."

---------------------------------
[26] Fergie on Coruna
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It was phenomenal and since then there has been a very good feel about the place. The
atmosphere in the dressing-room has been good. I can smell these things. I know when
it's right and it's very right at the moment. I can't see any semblance of a flaw the
way we have been playing. That's a very positive thing for us. It gives you optimism
that you are going into the game in the right frame of mind."

---------------------------------
[25] Bayer coach
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Our players want to to show they can be measured against the great players."

---------------------------------
[24] Fergie on Bayer
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Leverkusen attack in sixes and sevens at a time and they take chances. They show no
fear. It's great if you get people to believe that and that's the hardest thing about
playing that way. But they can lose goals because of it."

---------------------------------
[23] Roeder confident for Arse game
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We don't want to go into any game fearful. Fear is a very negative factor and stops
you from performing. We are obviously respectful, which is different, but hopefully we
will not show too much respect, where again that would be a hindrance. Looking at the
boys in training, they are really looking forward to the game, and we want to keep
things going away from home. The lads are motivated and that is pleasing and they have
got to be like that tonight. They have got the flavour of what we have been asking
them to do. The season doesn't end until the last kick against Bolton and we don't
want to let go of that opportunity of finishing seventh."

---------------------------------
[22] More Fergie on Butt
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Some players have an asset in their attitude to life. Nicky, over the last few years,
particularly since Roy joined the club, has never been a certain starter in every
match. A lot of people would have thrown the towel in years ago. But he knows when he
does play that he makes a valid contribution to the team and our success over the
years. He feels his contribution is worth him staying. In the last year he's matured.
He's 26 years of age, almost 27, and that maturity has brought on what you're seeing
at the moment. His performances over the last few weeks have been fantastic. When we
had a blip earlier in the season and we stabilised the side, it was Nicky Butt who was
an influential player in doing so."

---------------------------------
[21] World Club Championship back?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Reuters

'Following is FIFA president Sepp Blatter's reply to a letter sent by UEFA president
Lennart Johansson to the 51 European national soccer associations in which he spelled
out 14 areas of concern: Johansson says Blatter insisted this competition was launched
but there is no appropriate time for it to be played, it led to Manchester United
withdrawing from the English FA Cup and it now faces an unclear future after the 2001
competition was called off because of a lack of a sponsor. ..

Blatter said European teams should regard the tournament as an opportunity to "give
something back" to less well-off clubs around the world. He says several major
European clubs and tv companies are interested in relaunching it.

---------------------------------
[20] Bit of pre match fun
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
www.bayer-busters.com

---------------------------------
[19] Bayer boss praises us
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Klaus Toppmoller

"United are on a higher level altogether than Liverpool and Arsenal. Liverpool have
two quick strikers in Owen and Heskey and rely heavily on that. That's where their
threat comes from. United are much stronger, far better technically and I would say on
a different plane to Liverpool. If you look at players like Ryan Giggs, Ruud van
Nistelrooy and Juan Veron, you can see how superior they are. I would say Van
Nistelrooy is the best striker in Europe. I would say the title is more important.
Never having won it is hurtful to us and all our efforts are devoted to winning it.
But it is great to play at Old Trafford, which I believe is a temple of football."

---------------------------------
[18] Do Kleenex distribute in Europe
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
For Newcastle's point last night secured them a Champions League place.

---------------------------------
[17] More from Nicky Butt - na na na na
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "It doesn't annoy me but it does get on my back a bit that I am always known as a
replacement. However, that's a fact of life because I suppose the first choice at
United is Roy and Paul Scholes. I am not a first choice under normal circumstances but
I know when I do come in I have the ability. In the build-up to the 1999 final I did
think that if we lost people would have said it was because Roy Keane and Paul Scholes
weren't playing. I felt more pressure then than I will do this time around. I didn't
want people saying we lost because we didn't have those two in the side."

---------------------------------
[16] Butt uses the m word
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Saturday was a big boost. The forward lads were a different class and we ripped them
apart. We have set ourselves up for what will be massive games against Leverkusen. We
have played well the last few weeks and got into the swing of winning."

---------------------------------
[15] More praise from Fergie on Butt
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I think Nicky Butt has been instrumental in our success this season. He has hit such
form that we can replace Roy Keane without even thinking about him. When we had an
early-season blip Nicky was influential in stabilising the situation. Over the last
year he has matured beyond recognition, which has brought what we see at the moment.
The next three years will see his peak. Because of his situation I have probably
received more calls from other managers about Nicky Butt than any other player. I have
never wanted to let him go. In the last few years he has never been certain to start
in every match. A lot of people would have thrown the towel in years ago."

---------------------------------
[14] Fergie - this is like 1999
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "There is a real similarity in the spirit amongst the players to 1999. It is a spirit
which is there in all successful teams in all sports. They are a good bunch of lads,
they are together and anything we will achieve will be together. I hope our experience
gives us the edge. While there will be nerves, as there always are in a semi-final, I
expect my players to handle it."

---------------------------------
[13] Fergie confident
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I can smell these things and I know when it is right. And it is very right at the
moment. Our performance in the quarter-final against Deportivo La Coruna was
phenomenal, probably our best ever. Since then the place has been buzzing."

---------------------------------
[12] Tottenham charge a fortune
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Should look at Chelsea on Saturday, who had five of their highest priced exec boxes
compltely empty

This from the SUN

'SPURS fans are raging at having to pay a mind-blowing £57 a game from August.

Season tickets at some sections of White Hart Lane will rise by 33 per cent.

And that means supporters in parts of the West Stand must fork out a staggering £1,200
to watch all their side's home league games, plus two cup matches, next term.

Increases range from four-20 per cent for season tickets in other parts of the ground.

The price-hike comes in a desperate bid to hand boss Glenn Hoddle more cash to dip
into the transfer market this summer.

But many supporters plan to protest to chairman Daniel Levy.

West Stand upper season ticket-holder Marc Labelda, from Bushey, Herts, said: "This is
an absolute disgrace. Spurs want normal seasonticket holders out of this area so they
can have corporate guests there, instead.

"I will write to Levy. I hope other fans will refuse to buy the season tickets."

Tottenham Independent Supporters' Association spokesman Bernie Kingsley said: "It is
disappointing - but not surprising.

"We know the club is looking to get more revenue for next season. People want to see
big signings and they will have to pay for it."

Hoddle will be given most of the increased ticket money - on top of the £3million the
club pockets from their two-year sponsorship deal with holiday firm Thomson.

Season tickets include the first two home cup matches. That is a maximum of 21 games,
so the most expensive season tickets will cost £57 a match.

Club chief Levy said: "The financial situation affecting many clubs - small and large
- continues to be a concern.

"But I strongly believe that when sound financial and football management are brought
together the likelihood of achieving consistent success is greatly enhanced."

He added: "The club is proud of the sponsorship deals.

"In our attempts to increase the revenues available to the club, we continue to
investigate all avenues.

"Be in no doubt that we are committed to being winners. But our future success must be
built upon solid foundations that will continue to serve the needs of the club for
many years to come."

And he added: "Although the cost of most season tickets has increased these still
represent good value compared to match-day prices."

The cheapest general season ticket at Spurs next season will be £495 - in the South
Stand. That works out at £23 a game.

Levy insisted: "I am delighted to report that demand for tickets is high and the
loyalty at the club has continued to strengthen."

---------------------------------
[11] story of the day?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
back page of early editions of the SUN

' ROBBIE SAVAGE will be panned by the FA after a bizarre toilet prank.

First the Leicester star burst into referee Graham Poll's changing room to use the loo
before last Saturday's clash with Aston Villa.

Then he drove Poll round the U-bend by sitting down to perform without shutting the
cubicle door and refusing to flush away his handiwork.

Despite the World Cup official's protests, Welsh international Savage refused to leave
— or explain why he could not use his own dressing room.

Poll, stunned by the cheek of it, then marched to the Leicester changing area at
Filbert Street to ask if their toilet facilites were in working order. He was told
they were just the job.

POLL ... driven round U-bend

Stinker Savage eventually departed, refusing to pull the chain, and played the whole
of the 2-2 draw.

Poll has since reported the Foxes defender to the FA for breaking the rule that says
players cannot enter the ref's dressing room without permission.

Not surprisingly, there is no rule which specifically covers what Savage did. But he
is expected to be charged with improper conduct.

An FA spokesman said: "We can confirm we are examining the referee's report concerning
an incident involving Robbie Savage."

---------------------------------
[10] Becks in slight car scrape
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Have to ask what he's doing driving with that injury though and with all those
minders. This from Ananova

'David Beckham escaped unharmed after his car was in a collision with another vehicle,
it is reported.

The injured England captain was at the wheel of the £160,000 Mercedes 500 at the time
of the crash.

Newspapers say the car collided with a Ford Focus driven by an off-duty policeman on a
"blind corner" close to Beckham's home last Thursday.

Reports say Beckham's car suffered thousands of pounds of damage.

The policeman's vehicle sustained dents to the driver's side front wing, front and
rear doors.

Beckham's left leg is currently in plaster because his foot is broken but he was
lawfully driving the car in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, because it is an automatic.'

---------------------------------
[9] Blanc offered new one year deal
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It's true that about a week ago Manchester United did speak to me and they have
offered me a contract. But what's more important for me is not to think about myself.
I've got to put the team before myself. We've got to do well in our three remaining
games and that's far more important than any other personal issue and I can decide
that at the end of the season. Out of respect for my club and my team-mates, I've got
to concentrate on winning something for Manchester United this season. But I'm
certainly going to give it some thought."

By the way Larry - possible 6 games left!

---------------------------------
[8] Pre-season
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
In Amsterdam we play Ajax at 9.15pm on August 2nd and Parma at 6.30pm on the 4th.

---------------------------------
[7] David Dein the diplomat?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
On the ITV digital-Football League deal

"We do not want to see an ugly dispute to drag its heels through the courts. The
Football League are saying right is on their side, while Carlton and Granada say right
is on theirs. The only certainty is that one group are right and the other is not. We
need to find a formula to settle the dispute and it needs to be done amicably. What is
happening now is a wake-up call for everybody and sadly, the Football League could be
in for a rude awakening"

---------------------------------
[6] Real in the Final?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Barca 0 Real 2

Premiership
Blackburn 2 (Gillespie and Cole) Newcastle 2
Fulham 3 Bolton 0

---------------------------------
[5] Not meaning to tempt fate
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
But hopefully United are not meaning to tempt fate here - have to plan ahead I suppose
as a few Reds have with flights and hotels. Not meaning to tempt fate (have I
mentioned that...) Red News can reveal that United have booked their accomodation
should we get to Hampden - a very posh old hotel in Loch Lomond. Red News tried to get
a room (well you know, always worth a try) - the words 'chance' and 'no' immediately
came to mind.

---------------------------------
[4] YOUR memories of the season
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
The deadline for our end of season special - issue 86 - is Thursday 25th April

We're looking for your moments/memories/songs for the season for our end of season
special.

Funny/sad/on field/off it, send anything and everything to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Remember - it's YOUR fanzine so even if it's one memory - we'd love to include it.
Thanks.

---------------------------------
[3] Becks the cover star
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'David Beckham will become Marie Claire's first male cover star next month.

The Beckham photos will appear in the June issue which hits UK shops on May 3.

They will feature alongside an interview with the footballer conducted by Kate
Thornton.

Beckham said: "That's what made me want to do it - because I'm the first man ever to
go on the cover. I was like 'Wow!' I was so excited about doing the shoot."

The magazine's editor Marie O'Riordan added: "When it came to putting a man on Marie
Claire's cover for the first time, there was only one candidate - David Beckham.

"He represents something for every woman - father, husband, footballer, icon. In a
word, he's the ultimate hero."

---------------------------------
[2] Get the current Red News tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
You can get a copy of the current issue of Red News - issue 85 - before the game. Just
£1.50.

Help us with our costs by bagging a copy.

We will also have a special offer package for this game only where you can get a joint
package of Great United Songs and our Fergie Special - just £2 for the pair - bag it
while you can, outside Old Trafford!

---------------------------------
[1] city to sign massive dole queue hater
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, April 24, 2002 by bar-knee:
Keegan wants the Norman Tebbit of Bayern - Stefan Effenberg

Bayern Coach Ottmar Hitzfeld: ''Effenberg would receive a fitting send-off from Bayern
Munich. He has been a worthy captain of a great team."

---------------------------------
[38] Gordon McQueen on Blanc
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2002 by bar-knee:
King Gordon on Larry White

"Judging by what I have seen on the footballing side then I believe Laurent Blanc
should continue playing. It would be a good move for United if he could be persuaded
to have another year at Old Trafford.  Everyone says play as long as you can and that
has been the mentality of most players in Britain down the years. All older
professionals will tell you `Don't hang up your boots too early because you'll regret
it’. If you have the chance to stay at United at 36 for another year, crikey, I don't
think I would turn it down! But that's only going on what we can see on the pitch. It
is, however, an entirely personal decision that only Laurent himself will know the
full ins and outs of.”

---------------------------------
[37] Likely team
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2002 by bar-knee:
Barthez; Gary Neville, Brown, Blanc, Silvestre; Veron, Giggs, Butt, Scholes;
Solskjaer, Van Nistelrooy.

---------------------------------
[36] More fergie on Keano
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2002 by bar-knee:
"He has trained for two days but he will not play against Leverkusen.  Hopefully maybe
he will be ready for the second leg."

---------------------------------
[35] TV info
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2002 by bar-knee:
Thanks to David for this

The following is from www.wotsat.com

Irish channels ready for full launch Irish TV channels RTE 1, Network 2, TG4 and TV3
will officially be added to  the Sky Digital channel lineup this week. The channels
have been carrying  out test broadcasts at 10.744GHz/H (SR 22,000 and FEC 5/6) for
several  weeks. [April 20]

I'm not sure if they are (officially) available only to Northern Ireland Sky
customers but if that is the case they should be available to others on the  'Add
Channels' facility on the Sky Digital system on the frequencies above.  The station
TV3 has the rights fo Champions League meaning that our match next Tuesday should be
available on Sky.

---------------------------------
[34] keane ready for next week?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2002 by bar-knee:
Fergie

:"He trained on Monday and he's trained this morning, but he won't play on Wednesday.
:Hopefully maybe next Tuesday he will be ready. I've been very surprised at his
:progress - he's remarkable. I think the treatment we have given him was different. He
:spent three days in an oxidisation cylinder, four and half hours a day, and that
:certainly helped his recovery. He had treatment on Sunday, came in the next day and
:felt great and wanted to train with us."

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.