RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[58] Carlos further fuels talk
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I don't know if they have been talking to each other, but if they want to sit down
and negotiate I am not going to stop it. If I had to leave Real I would not join
another Spanish team. United would be a good option, but I don't know if any of this
speculation is serious."

---------------------------------
[57] More Fergie on 2008 bid
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The Scottish and Irish supporters are magnificent ambassadors for their countries
wherever they travel.  Bringing the European Championship finals here would be the
perfect reward for them and long overdue.  I know that the two football associations
and the Scottish and Irish governments are determined to deliver the best possible bid
to the UEFA Executive Committee.  I am delighted that they are both absolutely
committed to securing the European Championships for Scotland and Ireland in 2008 and
I am fully supportive of the bid."

---------------------------------
[56] FAI still want 23rd player
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
FAI

"We put off making a formal application until today because the Roy Keane issue was
still going on. But we have made a formal application to Fifa on the Colin Healy issue
and we hope to hear later today."

---------------------------------
[55] Fergie - put it to bed
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Roy Keane put it to bed yesterday and that is now where it should lie. My
recollection of the time in Mexico [in 1986 as Scotland coach] is of the amount of
pressure on you as a coach and the preparation you need, the concentration you need
and the time you need.  I think it is so important that Ireland do well and that they
are allowed to do well.  Roy's expressed wish is for that to happen. Yes, we are all
disappointed and Roy is disappointed."

---------------------------------
[54] McCarthy - it's over
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I am glad it is finished with and it has been dealt with. Hopefully we can move on,
we have been trying to talk about football for a number of days and that has not been
the case. It has been a regrettable incident all the way through. It has not helped us
and some of the young players in the squad must be wondering what is going on.  It is
not what the World Cup is about. There is always some incident in a World Cup which
causes a huge media interest and unfortunately for us it has been in the Republic of
Ireland camp this time. Hopefully now we can move on now, play the games and play
well, and discuss football.  I think it has been handled as well as it could have
been, but then I wouldn't know how you are supposed to handle something like that.
I'll sit back and think about it when the World Cup is over - it is not something I
want to start thinking about now."

---------------------------------
[53] Sven can't help talking about his main man
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"David will tell me if he's fit or not. You can have all the advice from doctors,
masseurs, physios and the coaching staff, even your own opinion as a manager, but at
the end there's only one person who can tell you, and that's the player himself.
Sometimes in life you feel that good things are happening, that you are in the right
place at the right time and taking the right decisions. He hasn't come out and told me
'I want to play' but he always told me he would be ready for Sweden."

---------------------------------
[52] Sven and Becks love a good meal
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
Sven

"I talk much less with the players here than I would do it I was managing them at club
level. At a club you see the players every day, see when they come in happy or sad,
tired or in good shape. It's different here but I think there is a lot of respect both
ways with David. I talk more to him than the other players because he is the captain
and I use him to keep in touch with the others. If there is a decision I need to take
and I want the players to be involved, especially when we're not together, I phone
David and ask him to call four or five of the other players. We don't meet socially -
apart from his party the other week. We do meet up sometimes in my office at the FA
for football reasons and I sometimes phone him. But when he's in London, we don't go
out for dinner together. Probably because I don't know where to go!"

---------------------------------
[51] Sven on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"When I saw David training I was very happy. Afterwards I saw him and he was smiling
and running. He was tired, of course, but he was smiling. That was good to see. All
the world is concerned about David's left foot. It has been for six weeks now. I've
never faced a situation like this before, but this is very special - you're talking
about the national team at the World Cup. That's different from a club situation. But
I'm not fed up with the attention he gets. Of course there are a lot of questions
about Beckham but I understand that."

---------------------------------
[50] Germany dismiss Ireland without Keane
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
Oliver Kahn

"It goes without saying that he is Ireland's key player. He is so important for
Manchester United and is one of the best midfielders around. Him not being there is a
terminal weakness for them. Team spirit and unity is something that applies to all
team sports - you cannot do anything without a good team spirit.
If you have a team that has quarrels amongst various players then it will all come to
nothing. Only when the team is strong and together can you ever achieve anything."

Dietmar Hamann

"It will be a big blow to Ireland losing a player like that and we were all very
surprised to hear what had happened. He is a tough competitor and going home a week
before the World Cup will not have helped Ireland's preparations, whereas ours have
gone very well."

---------------------------------
[49] Fergie on 2008 bid
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The bid has very good strengths. I have spoken of the passion for football in the
countries involved and the cultural similarities between the two countries. We are
used to seeing our fans enjoying themselves abroad and some of the memories are
lasting. I think we look forward to showing that we can also be good hosts."

---------------------------------
[48] Carlos will go only if Madrid say yes
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I don't know whether they are talking at the moment. If they want to sit down and
speak about a transfer they can do so. I'm not going to raise any objections if one
club wants to sell and the other wants to buy. If they did reach an agreement that's
where I would come in."

Real's sports director Jorge Valdano "Rumours were a spectacular exercise in
imagination."

---------------------------------
[47] That will be a real friendly
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
Leeds to play at Rangers pre-season

---------------------------------
[46] Becks latest
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Steve McClaren

"David has trained for the last two days with the team and come through very well.
There has been no reaction so he is on course for Sunday still.  He is doing
everything. He is not holding back. He has got a big smile on his face and he is
enjoying life.  Of course you think about his match fitness but he has been working
very hard and, by his own admission, over the last two or three weeks, he has felt
like he has done another pre-season in terms of the work.  He is a naturally fit boy
anyway and we have got another three or four days' training before the game and he
will be okay.  You would like to think that he can play the entire 90 minutes although
that can't be judged at this precise time."

---------------------------------
[45] Money can buy you anything
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by Stalker:
Sepp Blatter has been re-elected as president of FIFA despite a last-minute show of
support for rival Issa Hayatou from the English Football Association.

Blatter, 66, will take the position as the most powerful in football for another four
years after winning the election with 139 votes to Hayatou's 56 in a secret ballot
held during a congress of FIFA's national associations in Seoul.

Rn comment:-There has got to be something seriously wrong with this.The blatant
disregard shown by the man towards fellow congress members just stinks of something
very fishy.

---------------------------------
[44] Get the violins out.
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by Stalker:
"I will walk way with my head held high," McCarthy said. "It's been the worst week of
my entire life...I regret Roy not being in my team but I have no regrets about
anything else.

---------------------------------
[43] Should have happened 6 months ago.
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by Stalker:
Sweden sweat on Ljungberg injury.

Sweden midfielder Fredrik Ljungberg hobbled out of training on Wednesday morning and
faces a race against time to be fit for Sunday's opening game against England. The
Arsenal player suffered a recurrence of the back injury he picked up at the end of the
season.

---------------------------------
[42] Rivaldo plot claim.
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by Stalker:
Rivaldo claims that there is a plot to get him dropped from the Brazilian national
side.

The Barcelona man may not start against Turkey on June 3 after boss Luiz Felipe
Scolari hinted that he may go with Real Betis star Denilson instead.

"One thing is for certain. There is a plot to get me dropped from the starting
line-up," said the 30-year-old.

---------------------------------
[41] Doing his bit for the celts.
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by Stalker:
Ferguson backs Euro 2008 bid

Sir Alex Ferguson has given his backing to Scotland and Ireland's joint bid to host
the Euro 2008 European Championships.

Ferguson was confirmed as a high-profile ambassador for the bid at Glasgow airport

---------------------------------
[40] Carlos admits interest
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by Stalker:
Real Madrid's Brazilian says we're after him.
It's true that Manchester wants me. The interest is not new," Marca quotes Carlos as
saying.

"Manchester has been asking about me for the last two years. Ferguson has spoken to me
on various occasions and has told me that he likes me as a player."

---------------------------------
[39] More Bobby C on Keano
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
“Of course the Irish public want to see their best player involved in the World Cup,
but it's not only them. If you are a football fan - and it doesn't matter whether you
are English, Scottish or Welsh - you want to see the best players.  World Cups only
come around once every four years and that's when you get the chance to see the men at
the top of their profession. Roy is a top class professional and only has one ambition
in life and that is to be a winner. If people fall short of the standards that he
demands, he will let them know about it because he is a strong character.
Unfortunately, though, Roy won't be involved and that is a real tragedy.”

---------------------------------
[38] Carlos denies United move talk
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I want to remain in Madrid. I am happy with what I have read but calm in relation to
my future. It is the same as the recent case of Internazionale and the news of my
assumed return to Italy.  Whilst (Real Madrid director general Jorge) Valdano or the
president do not say anything to me, everything that does happen is mere speculation."

---------------------------------
[37] McCarthy on past week
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "It has been the worst week of my life, I was not prepared for this and I was not
trained in how to handle it. It was not of my making and once all the spin and all the
PR got involved, it became more than an issue between two men. I handled it as best I
could and I am sure I can learn from it. I cannot affect the way people think about me
now. I cannot change. What I have always done for Ireland, for my country, is play as
best I can and manage as best I can. I think I have done a damn good job. Something
has come along this week to throw us off track but we will come back all the stronger.
Personally I will not walk away with my head held low or with any shame. A lot of
people are spinning stuff, doing things in the background, people are trying to
discredit me. If people think ill of me I am sorry, if people supported me, then thank
you. I feel sorry for what went on but in no way have I done anything to be ashamed
of."

---------------------------------
[36] McCarthy vows not to quit
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I have never thought of quitting, not for one minute. That is not a thought that is
entering my head and anyone who is suggesting it did is wide of the mark. I don't see
why I should think of walking away. I have a job to do here, I have a two year
contract and I intend to see it through."

---------------------------------
[35] Gary Nev on his World Cup tips
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"There are a handful of teams who can win it. Argentina, France, Spain and Italy, with
England and Portugal as outsiders.
But if I had to stick my neck out, I'd say Italy. They are compact and good
defensively while they don't use a lot of energy during games, which is important as
the heat in Asia will be such a factor. It's a cruel time for me to sustain an injury.
It's an amazing coincidence that my best mate, David Beckham, suffered the
same problem but to some extent he was fortunate in that he went down two weeks before
me. But in every major tournament there's always a player who misses out, and this
time it's my turn."

---------------------------------
[34] Ferdinand on his way?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
Don't know if you've seen today's express but they are of the opinion that Ferdinand
is signed sealed and delivered. Now I'm not one to usually believe tabloid tat, but
kind of unusual for a paper to go the whole hog and claim Ferdinand is ACTUALLY in
possession of a United contract.

Contrary to some opinions expressed I think he'd be a superb signing and I think
twinned with either Brown or O'shea, we'd see the formation of a truly modern central
defence pairing - speed, strength and awareness with the ability to pass from the back
and venture into midfield.

Jason

---------------------------------
[33] More on new Unired share holder
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Irish Times

'Mr Dobson bought the 6.5 per cent stake owned by former Manchester United chairman
Martin Edwards and his family and this makes him the third biggest shareholder in the
football club after BSkyB, which owns 9.9 per cent, and the Irish duo John Magnier and
J.P McManus who own a combined stake of just under 9 per cent. It is understood that
Mr Dobson's investment has no connection with that of Mr Magnier and Mr McManus and
that there is no question of Mr Dobson acting in concert with Mr McManus and Mr
Magnier.

The sale was arranged by United's broker Brewin Dolphin. It is understood that Mr
Edwards did not know who was buying his stake. {RN - so he did not care? Could have
sold to anyone?]

Earlier this month, the shares dropped to a six-year low on concerns that the steep
rise in players' wages would reduce profits and the team's failure to win a trophy
last season or automatically qualify for the lucrative Champions League.

 In a statement issued through Manchester United, Mr Dobson described the club as "the
best quality stock in an out of favour sector". A spokesman for Manchester United said
that Mr Dobson had bought the Edwards shares simply as an investment and has not
sought board representation.

Mr Dobson bought 13 million shares owned by Mr Edwards and another four million shares
held by a trust whose beneficiaries are his children at 127p...Mr Dobson, who made his
fortune in mining in Canada, is thought to be worth more than €1 billion  and has in
recent years invested heavily in Irish property and bloodstock.

Last October, Mr Magnier and Mr McManus emerged as a near 9 per cent shareholder in
Manchester United, but like Mr Dobson, they have also not sought board representation.
The Irish duo are close friends of Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, whose
horses are trained at the same Aidan O'Brien stable where Mr McManus's horses are
trained.

Mr Dobson was at one stage involved in plans for a national distribution centre in
west Dublin with the property group Dunloe Ewart and the deceased estate agent Mr
Fintan Gunne, but this development never came to pass.

Over the past year, Mr Dobson has been mentioned in passing in connection with former
Fianna Fáil TD Mr Liam Lawlor, who had claimed half-ownership of a company called
Clearview. This claim was based on an agreement that Mr Lawlor said existed between
himself, and Mr Dobson over drainage piping in west Dublin.

Last November, RTÉ reported that the piping in Lucan was the subject of a dispute
involving Mr Lawlor, Mr Dobson and a solicitor, Mr John Caldwell, who also claimed
part-ownership.'

---------------------------------
[32] An Irish Red Perspective
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
As a passionate Manchester united and Ireland supporter based in Dublin, I always
listen intently to fellow English reds when I am in Manchester when the subject of the
English national team arises. The lack of genuine support English utd supporters give
their national team is well documented and the reasons are clear and I always endorsed
this stance. However I have always taken tremendous pride in being an "Irish red" who
had the good fortune to be able to follow both club and country with all I passion I
could muster....up until now. I can now understand exactly why English utd supporters
merely shrug when England win, lose or draw, and regrettably I feel I am now beginning
to go down this darkest of paths. I and 1000's of others are looking at the Irish team
through hardened, bitter and saddened eyes. That it has come to this is an absolute
national tragedy. My
disgust at the FAI and in particular Mick McCarthy, I cannot accurately portray to you
right now as words don't do justice to the gigantic injustice I feel right now. Roy
Keane is a leader, the leader  of my beloved Utd, the man who refused Holland a place
in the finals by standing up to them, rising to their  very substantial challenge and
overcame them despite the odds. In adversity, he is a warrior.

When at the top of the perch,he is mindful of the pitfalls that await the man who
rests on his laurels. Never stopping to pat himself on the back,he looks upwards and
onwards in his endless strive for perfection. Without him, the Irish public would be a
casual observers of footballs greatest show. With him, the Irish public harbour
realistic dreams of a place in the quarter finals. Discard him at your peril McCarthy
and discard any notion you have of calling yourself a good manager. So to all you
English Utd reds, you are not alone anymore,because the Irish reds may be your
brothers in arms at national level from now on, though it pains me greatly to say so.

Colm

---------------------------------
[31] United fans 5-a-side
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
EUROWORLD TRAVEL
FORMALLY AMBASSADOR TRAVEL

SECOND ANNUAL
MANCHESTER UNITED SUPPORTERS
5 A'SIDE FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT
BLACKPOOL 6 JULY 2002

INVITATION

After our inaugural tournament held in June last year, we are now taking bookings.
Last year we had teams from Manchester, Newton le Willows, Chorley, Kent, Ireland,
London and Bournemouth.
The tournament will be held on Saturday 6th July at  Blackpool. Last year on both the
Friday & Saturday nights, time was spent
sampling the rather interesting watering holes of Blackpool.

For further details please contact us on
Tel - 0870 330 0400
Fax - 0870 330 1007
e'mail - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[30] FAI on negotiations
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
Mr Delaney

"I expressed my disappointment as I felt that earlier in the day and on Monday we were
close to getting an agreement. But there must be closure now. This has been like
someone in the family dying slowly, but this brings it to an end. It's been difficult,
but we've got to move on now."

[29] What Keano's agent told the FAI
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2002 by bar-knee: