>From my society:

We recently explained how to use pre-written Freedom of Information requests
<http://ift.tt/2hL5kG7> for a campaign. We’re glad to see this being used
by AskTheEU <http://ift.tt/1PDiseR>, the Alaveteli site for Europe.

Today, AskTheEU launches a campaign <http://ift.tt/2k3WSok> to request the
travel expenses of EU Commissioners — and they are calling on the public to
help submit a total of 168 requests.

No matter what your feeling are towards the EU (let’s not even go there),
we hope that everyone is in favour of transparency. AskTheEU’s campaign
follows the discovery from a request that Commission President Jean-Claude
Juncker spent €63,000 <http://ift.tt/2kn1P9Q> on an air taxi to Turkey for
the G20 summit. Naturally, they were keen to know whether this level of
spending is replicated across the organisation.

After a two-year battle, AskTheEU’s parent organisation Access Info has
established that the European Commission will provide information on
Commissioner’s travel expenses, but only in two-month bundles.

They’ve already made a start: after submitting legal appeals and new
requests, Access Info won access to a handful of documents about the travel
expenses of five Commissioners: these can be seen here
<http://ift.tt/2jUU6jr>.

But there’s plenty more to discover, and that’s where the general public
comes in. Thanks to the pre-written requests function, all the hard work is
already done: it’s just a matter of picking one or two time periods and
submitting the already-composed request.

Anyone can participate by going to the campaign website
<http://ift.tt/2k3WSok> from today. All requests and responses will be made
public on AsktheEU.

—

Image © European Union 2014 – European Parliament <http://ift.tt/2k6Y376> (CC