In-depth analysis:
https://daily.jstor.org/how-trumps-twitter-presidency-hijacked-hopes-for-e-democracy/

From: "Alexandra Samuel" <a...@alexandrasamuel.com>
Date: Jan 26, 2017 11:20 AM
Subject: How the Twitter Presidency hijacked e-democracy, plus solutions to
your digital dilemmas
To: "Steven Clift" <cl...@publicus.net>

alexandrasamuel.com

No Images? Click here
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-e-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-yh/>
[image: Alexandra Samuel]
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-r/>

In this newsletter

Trumps's Twitter Presidency • Hacking Parenthood • Solving your digital
dilemmas

[image: How to unfollow @realdonaldtrump]
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-y/>

Surviving the Twitter Presidency

Now that Donald Trump has taken over Twitter, I've found a soft spot in my
heart for email. So here it is, the direct-to-your-inbox roundup of my
latest resources for loving your life online.

Let's start with that tweeting President, who is the subject of my latest
piece for JSTOR Daily,  How Trump's Twitter Presidency Hijacked Hopes for
E-Democracy <http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-j/>.
I've spent twenty years working in and around the e-democracy field, and
like a lot of e-democracy geeks, I've been waiting for the political leader
who would embrace the Internet as a way of getting past media gatekeepers,
engaging with diverse voices and having a truly conversational relationship
with the public.

Sadly, that's not what we're getting from Donald Trump, a.k.a.
@realDonaldTrump, now also a.k.a. @POTUS. My story takes a hard look at the
specifics of how Trump uses Twitter, and at the ways his usage deviates
both from e-democratic hopes and Twitter norms.

Of course, that meant taking a deep dive into Twitter data (#GeekHeaven).
And what I found was that Trump not only uses Twitter very differently from
most regular users (who actually converse, while Trump broadcasts); he also
uses it very differently from other candidates. Check out this analysis I
did comparing the makeup of Trump's tweets with those of a range of other
candidates during the 2016 election season:

Find out what to watch for in the first Twitter presidency, and what is
going wrong so far, by reading the full story on JSTOR Daily
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-t/>.

[image: Mail envelope]
<http://alexandrasamuel.forwardtomyfriend.com/y-jiujdkllkr-D774E977-hjlypd-l-yk>

Share this email with a friend
<http://alexandrasamuel.forwardtomyfriend.com/y-jiujdkllkr-D774E977-hjlypd-l-yu>

My JSTOR Daily column, *The Digital Voyage*
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-i/>, draws on
the academic literature in the JSTOR archives to address the challenges of
living in a digital world.  Browse past columns here.
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-d/>
More Trump Talk

A Post-Apocalyptic Guide to Surviving Donald Trump
<https://medium.com/@awsamuel/a-post-apocalyptic-guide-to-preparing-for-donald-trump-fc333d8b080b#.m8kzers8m>
How dystopian fiction can prepare you for your imminent death in a ball of
fire.

How to take action online
<https://medium.com/@awsamuel/so-you-want-to-save-america-3bbab30ceaa9>
The conclusion to my 3-part post-election series on the digital skills we
need to survive Trump.

I'm an American in Canada. Want to join me?
<https://medium.com/@awsamuel/im-an-american-in-canada-want-to-join-me-7afbe5341b05#.z9gxz75uo>
My effort at recruiting a new wave of progressive American immigrants to
replace Canada's aging crop of Vietnam-era draft resisters.

Hacking Parenthood at Inbound

Like many people, I spent November 9th in a kind of walking coma, unsure of
how to make sense of the U.S. election result. But my November 9th had a
twist: I was in Boston at the massive Inbound conference, which is one of
the biggest digital marketing conferences on the calendar.

I was there to deliver one of Inbound's signature Bold Talks. In *Hacking
Parenthood: The Three World Of Digital Parenting
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-h/>, *I shared
the story of parenting an autistic son -- and how his tech struggles have
driven my research into the way families navigate the digital world. If
you've read my articles about limiters, enablers and mentors
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-k/>, this is
your chance to see some additional data I haven't shared before, and to
understand how my research on digital parenting can help you make sense of
your own family tech issues.
[image: Hacking Parenthood talk]
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-u/>

*Hacking Parenthood: The 3 Worlds of Digital Parenting*

More solutions to your digital dilemmas

*Parenting online*

*Be Big Brother. *My *Passcode* story
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-o/> shared a
week in the life of our parental controls regime. TLDR: Disney's Circle
*rocks.*

*Don't Quit Facebook. Quit Parenting.* That was my new year's advice
<https://medium.com/@awsamuel/dont-quit-facebook-for-2017-quit-parenting-c15652dbdb5#.clou8zjne>
to all the folks swearing off Facebook for January.

*How to cope with the Amazon Echo* was just one of the dilemmas I recently
covered in *The Brood* for Southern California Public Radio. Listen here
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-b/>.

*"Freemium" videogames --* games that start out free, but charge for
upgrades -- incurred my wrath in this instalment of The Peanut Diaries
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-n/>. I've been
gratified to hear from a number of gaming industry professionals who share
my concern about the impact of gaming on autistic and other special needs
kids.

*Coping with email*

*7 Email problems, solved!*  When I asked my Facebook friends to map out
their email challenges, their questions inspired this practical column for
the Harvard Business Review
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-p/>.

*How to Cut Your Email Time in Half* is the promise of a *Fast Company *
story <http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-x/> that
featured my advice on setting up email rules.

*Work Smarter with Your Inbox *with my video course. If you're looking for
more help with email, my Skillshare class is getting great reviews! Join
with this link
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-m/> and you'll
get three free months of Premium access to Skillshare.

What's next?

Look for my byline in *The Wall Street Journal'*s upcoming Technology in
the Workplace report, and for more stories coming soon to *The Christian
Science Monitor's Passcode*
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-c/> and *The
Orange Dot <http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-q/>.*

I hope you will email me <a...@alexandrasamuel.com> with your tech insights
and questions for the year ahead so that I can address them in my upcoming
stories. You can also find me on Facebook
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-a/>, LinkedIn
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-e/>...or, yes,
Twitter <http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-s/>.
It's big enough for me *and* the Donald.

all the best,

<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-g/>
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-w/>
<http://alexandrasamuel.cmail20.com/t/y-l-hjlypd-jiujdkllkr-yd/>
Alexandra Samuel
3223 West 2nd Avenue • Vancouver,  BC • V6K 1K9 • Canada
You're getting this email as one of my trusted friends and colleagues.

――
View topic http://groups.dowire.org/r/topic/4UC2ElGGcWnrpYybSncBML