From: "Ramón Reichert" <ramon.reich...@univie.ac.at>
Date: Feb 22, 2018 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Air-L] CfP: Digital Citizens. Engaging with Information
Politics, Transparency and Surveillance
To: <ai...@listserv.aoir.org>, <air-g...@listserv.aoir.org>

Dear AoIR/AoIR-Grad list members,

enclosed please find our call for proposals for:

CfP: Digital Citizens
Engaging with Information Politics, Transparency and Surveillance

Abstract deadline: March 21, 2018
Contact: Ramón Reichert, Karin Wenz (Eds.)

This issue of the Digital Culture & Society journal invites theoretical and
artistic contributions on citizen engagement, digital citizenship and
grassroots information politics.

Today, engagement and participation are considered key when we investigate
media and user practices. Participation has become a popular imperative of
digital societies: “Calls for greater transparency and participation are
heard not just by elected officials, but also in corporate headquarters”
(Geiselhart, 2004). A number of theoretical reflections on digital
societies assume that social media are becoming a dominant media channel
for participatory engagement.

Practices of participation and engagement are an indispensible part of our
digital everyday lives: from chat rooms to community forums, from social
media platforms to image boards, and from rating platforms to
whistle-blowing websites. The Internet is used for a wide variety of forms
of participation in culture, education, health, business and politics. On
the one hand these ‘digital collectives’ are deemed the torchbearers of the
coming social and political transformation or hailed as self-organized
collective intelligence. On the other hand state apparatuses are asking for
participative activities to increase efficiency and to avoid friction. It
is argued that the use of technology fosters participation and processes of
consensus-building.

This discourse almost implies that these processes can be hardwired into
digital technologies. The terms “cultural citizenship” and “digital
citizenship” are expected to provide a broader but also a more critical
approach to citizen engagement.

In the meantime, there are numerous studies that examine the different
forms and effects of participation on the Internet and its limitations
(e.g. Fuchs, 2014; Trottier/Fuchs, 2015). Critical voices show that
participation has long become a buzz word, often related to one-sided,
positive perspectives: applauding the possibilities of user engagement and
ignoring issues such as information politics and a digital divide, not only
based on technological access but also on a lack of digital literacy (e.g.
Jordan, 2015; van Dijck et al., 2017). We observe not only liberation of
users based on participatory practices but exploitation at the same time.
The information politics behind design decisions are a relevant topic for a
deeper understanding of the interrelation of technological developments and
user practices.

Participation and sharing data by users also led to critical debates about
surveillance (Albrechtslund, 2013; Lyon, 2017) and whether privacy matters
any longer if we “have nothing to hide” . Under which circumstances do we
have to consider privacy a commodity and how can we reestablish mechanisms
of forgetfulness? Surveillance as observation and control from those in
power has been accompanied by a discussion about “sousveillance”, a term
coined by Mann, Nolan, and Wellman (2003) to describe instances in which
people watch and control those in power. What tools have been developed
both for collecting private data and for protecting our privacy and in how
far do they challenge our platform society?

In our special issue we aim at including approaches from fields such as:
(digital) sociology, STS, (digital) media studies, cultural studies,
political sciences and philosophy reflecting on the role of the digital
citizen. We ask for the role and value of a digital sociology exploring the
practices of digital citizens. We particularly welcome contributions that
are critically reflective about online practices in relation to new
concepts of surveillance and control society.

Paper proposals may relate to, but are not limited to, the following
topics: Digital citizenship, networked publics, information politics,
engagement, participation and sharing, transparency, surveillance, urban
informatics, citizen score, democracy as a service, participatory
engineering, data commons, large scale protests and trending topics,
slacktivism and clicktivism, participation divide.

Deadlines and contact information

Abstracts (max. 300 words) and short biographical note (max. 100 words) are
due on: March 21, 2018.
Authors will be notified by March 25, 2018, whether they are invited to
submit a full paper.
Full papers are due on: May 25, 2018.
Notifications to authors of referee decisions: June 30, 2018.
Final versions due: July 30, 2018.
Please send your abstract and short biographical note to Ramón Reichert and
Karin ramon.reich...@univie.ac.at; wenz.k.w...@maastrichtuniversity.nl

About the Journal:
Digital Culture & Society seeks contributions that display a clear,
inspiring engagement with media theory and/or methodological issues.
Emphasising the relevance of new practices and technology appropriation for
theory as well as methodology debates, the journal also encourages
empirical investigations.

For more information, see the official journal website:

http://digicults.org/callforpapers/cfp-digital-citizens/

With best wishes,

Ramón Reichert

--
Ramón Reichert

Head of the post-graduate master’s course Data Studies at the Danube
University Krems:
http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/en/studium/data-studies/index.php

European Project Researcher "Visual/video literacies", Erasmus+:
http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/projects/eplus-
project-details-page/?nodeRef=workspace://SpacesStore/ad93c6
5c-662e-4375-85b4-279b976be6ec

Lecteur
Département des sciences de la communication et des médias
Université de Fribourg, Suisse, http://www.unifr.ch/dcm/?page=accueil

Lecturer in Contextual Studies
School of Humanities and Social Sciences, St. Gallen, Switzerland
http://www.unisg.ch/de/universitaet/schools/humanities+and+social+sciences

Lecturer IXDM
Academy of Art and Design FHNW
Institute of Experimental Design and Media Cultures, Basel
https://www.ixdm.ch/idk-turns-ixdm/

Current publications:
http://www.transcript-verlag.de/978-3-8376-2592-9/big-data
http://www.transcript-verlag.de/978-3-8376-3665-9/selfies-se
lbstthematisierung-in-der-digitalen-bildkultur?c=7

nfo.cgi/air-l-aoir.org

http://www.aoir.org/

――
View topic http://groups.dowire.org/r/topic/3v9wx8ovya3VWo8uwVJ9Mc