Hey, all. This is totally conjectural. And it's based on a small sample
size. But, hey, ya gotta start somewhere.

So...a bit more than a month ago, I posted a link to a "Gambel's"
White-crowned Sparrow (subspecies *gambelii*) flight call I'd uploaded to
eBird/Macaulay, and one person flat-out questioned the ID. That's cool.
Always good to maintain a healthy skepticism. However, the bird in question
was perched right in front of me, in broad daylight.

And now I have another such recording, definitely of a different bird
(different age), and it's not dissimilar from the first. Both have this
little squiggle at the end.

And the only Xeno-Canto upload of *gambelii* flight calls (other than my
own recordings), by Tayler Brooks, also shows the squiggle.

Again, a pretty small sample. And flight calls are variable. So I'm not
wedded to this. But I thought I'd put it out there.

Here are my two Macaulay uploads:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/75818451

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/70518311

And here is the Tayler Brooks recording:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/41863

It might well be nothing at all. But, given that Bill Evans has mentioned
that there's an effort under way to expand the library of flight calls
for *Flight
Calls of Migratory Birds* (hooray!), I guess I've been thinking a bit more
about taxa like *gambelii* that understandably aren't included in the
first/Eastern edition of Flight Calls.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado, USA

Welcome and Basics � http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_WELCOME
Rules and Information � http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_RULES
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave �
http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC-L_SubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm