> On 05/18/2017 08:04 PM, Yun-Chih Chen wrote:
> > Hi, friends:
> >
> > I'm studying the affect of NFSv4 on Linux.  As far as I know, NFS
> > implemented in Linux kernel supports read delegation but not write
> > delegation.  I wonder if Ganesha implements write delegation?  If yes,
> > can it take effect if accessed by Linux NFS client?
> >
> > I use the following config file to observe delegation in Ganesha:
> >
> > EXPORT {
> >         Export_Id = 77;
> >         Path = /e;
> >         Pseudo = /e;
> >         Access_Type = RW;
> >         FSAL {
> >                 Name = XFS;
> >         }
> >
> >         Delegations = readwrite;
> > }
> >
> > NFSV4 {
> >         Delegations = true;
> > }
> >
> > However, I did not see any trace of delegation under various workloads
> > (example: repeated read [1], repeated write [2]) using tools like
> > nfstrace or tcpdump.  When running in debug mode, I always got the
> > following in the log file:
> >
> > ganesha.nfsd-8999[main] display_fsinfo :FSAL :DEBUG :  delegations = 0
> >
> > indicating that delegation was not on.
> > Is there something wrong with my config file?  Or any other clue
> > regarding NFS delegation?  Thanks ( ;
>
> AFAIK except for FSAL_GPFS, other FSALs do not have support for
> delegations yet. Also after switching to new extended APIs (>=nfs-ganesha-
> 2.4), delegations are disabled. It needs some additional work. We are
> planning to address it as part of adding this support for FSAL_GLUSTER
> (hopefully in 2.6 release). WRT XFS, I am not sure if anyone is actively
looking
> at it.

Delegation support might be possible with FSAL_VFS or FSAL_XFS through use
of setlease. The big issue with VFS or XFS support is the majority of the
community is working on Ganesha from the perspective of CEPH, GLUSTER, GPFS,
and RGW FSALs. The primary purpose of FSAL_XFS is to utilize XFS's open by
handle capability for kernels that predate the general open by handle
capability, other than that FSAL_XFS is the same as FSAL_VFS.

Frank

---