On Fri, 2017-05-19 at 11:55 +0530, Soumya Koduri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/18/2017 08:04 PM, Yun-Chih Chen wrote:
> > Hi, friends:
> >
> > I'm studying the affect of NFSv4 on Linux.  As far as I know, NFS
> > implemented in Linux kernel supports read delegation but not write
> > delegation.  I wonder if Ganesha implements write delegation?  If yes,
> > can it take effect if accessed by Linux NFS client?
> >
> > I use the following config file to observe delegation in Ganesha:
> >
> > EXPORT {
> >         Export_Id = 77;
> >         Path = /e;
> >         Pseudo = /e;
> >         Access_Type = RW;
> >         FSAL {
> >                 Name = XFS;
> >         }
> >
> >         Delegations = readwrite;
> > }
> >
> > NFSV4 {
> >         Delegations = true;
> > }
> >
> > However, I did not see any trace of delegation under various workloads
> > (example: repeated read [1], repeated write [2]) using tools like
> > nfstrace or tcpdump.  When running in debug mode, I always got the
> > following in the log file:
> >
> > ganesha.nfsd-8999[main] display_fsinfo :FSAL :DEBUG :  delegations = 0
> >
> > indicating that delegation was not on.
> > Is there something wrong with my config file?  Or any other clue
> > regarding NFS delegation?  Thanks ( ;
>
> AFAIK except for FSAL_GPFS, other FSALs do not have support for
> delegations yet. Also after switching to new extended APIs
> (>=nfs-ganesha-2.4), delegations are disabled. It needs some additional
> work. We are planning to address it as part of adding this support for
> FSAL_GLUSTER (hopefully in 2.6 release). WRT XFS, I am not sure if
> anyone is actively looking at it.
>
> Thanks,
> Soumya

Hi Soumya,

I just started looking at delegation support in ganesha (mostly with an
eye toward plumbing in delegation support for Ceph).

I think we probably need to rework the whole delegation interface (maybe
even give it a dedicated FSAL op), and was wondering if you had started
any work along those lines.

Thanks,
--
Jeff Layton <jlay...@redhat.com>