On Wed, 2018-02-21 at 18:24 -0500, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> On 2/21/18 4:51 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > On Wed, 2018-02-21 at 13:40 -0800, Frank Filz wrote:
> > > We could take this opportunity to change the option to RPCBIND...
> > >

> > Fair enough.
> >

> I'd support this.

Cool, I pushed out an updated patchset that is along these lines.

> > I actually disagree with the "no udp" statement above too. UDP is great
> > for single-shot request protocols like rpcbind, and the NFS client will
> > use it. DDoS is a possibility, but who exposes their rpcbind port to the
> > Internet?
> >

> Unfortunately, millions of websites.  At one time, portmapper was a
> leading method of DDoS.

That's just malpractice. rpcbind really shouldn't be an Internet service
in this day and age.

> Actually, it's *NOT* great.  When Ganesha/ntirpc cannot find something,
> it drops back from TCP to UDP.  And then tries over and over into the
> void.  There's no return signal from UDP.
>
> When the TCP service isn't available, you get a nice RST flag.  No need
> for all these retry timeouts that UDP requires.

True, but it's a lot less overhead for the cases where it _does_ work.
One roundtrip and that's it.

> UDP turned out to be a security nightmare for NFS.  We all remember the
> IP fragmentation DDoS?
>
> That's why we tried (circa 1992) to eliminate IP fragmentation in IPv6.
> Steve Deering was all over this.  DNS and NFS were the big culprits,
> and NFS over UDP yields far bigger IP fragment chains than DNS....

No question that TCP is generally superior for NFS. You sort of expect
there to be a long-lived association between a NFS client and server
though.

For rpcbind, that's not generally the case. You query it to get the port
and never talk to it again until you need to reconnect a socket (and
often not even then).

> > In any case, the real fix to this issue is to move to protocols that
> > don't require rpcbind at all. That means NFSv4.0 at a minimum (though
> > obviously v4.1+ would be preferred).
> >

> Ah, you're speaking to my heart.  But we apparently still have a lot
> of UDP downstream, and now FSAL_PROXY.
>
> When will we ever get away from the sins of our fathers, unto the 7th
> generation?

Yeccchh. I do wonder about the use cases that are driving these
configurations.

The real question is who really requires v3 these days?
--
Jeff Layton <jlay...@redhat.com>