> One thing I tried is to not allocate new entries and return NFS4ERR_DELAY in
> the
> hope that the increased refcnt at LRU is temporary. This worked for some time;
> but then I hit a case where I see all the entries at the LRU of L1 has a
> refcnt of 2
> and the subsequent entries have a refcnt of 1. All L2's were empty. I
> realized that
> whenever a new entry is created, the refcnt is 2 and it is put at the LRU.
> Also
> promotions from L2 moves them to LRU of L1. So it is likely that many threads
> may end up finding no entries at LRU and end allocating new entries.
>
> Then I tried another experiment: Invoke lru_wake_thread() when the number of
> entries is greater than entries_hiwat; but still allocate a new entry for the
> demotion in case of 'entries > entries_hiwat' in addition to max FD check. The
> side effect would be that it will close FDs and demote to L2. Almost all of
> these
> FDs are opened in the context of setattr/getattr; so attributes are already in
> cache and FDs are probably useless until the cache expires.  I think your
> idea of
> moving further down the lane may be a better approach.
>
> I will try your suggestion next. With 1023 lanes, it is unlikely that all
> lanes will
> have an active entry.

Thanks for the explanation. You are observing in practice something I
considered in theory...

I like the idea of demoting entries when entries > entries_hiwat, Matt, Daniel,
do you see any negative side effects to that?

About the open fds, my thinking is shifting to not keeping an fd open for
getattr/settattr. If the global fd is already open use it, otherwise, just open
a temp fd for the operation. With NFS v4 clients, that will virtually eliminate
global fd usage and for V3 clients will mean the global fd is only open for
files the client is doing I/O on.

Frank