> On 8 Mar 2024, at 19:31, Piotr Sikora via nginx-devel <nginx-devel@nginx.org>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Sergey,
>
>> An obvious question is why do you need this change.  Homebrew seems
>> to be quite niche to pay attention.
>
> Homebrew [1] is orders of magnitude more popular than MacPorts [2],
> which is already supported by the configure script.

Thanks for clarifying this.

>> Using appropriate paths in
>> --with-cc-opt / --with-ld-opt should work (not tested).
>
> Everything under auto/lib can be replaced with --with-{cc,ld}-opt,
> so I don't really understand this reasoning.

Given the high popularity, it may be indeed not an option.

>> A quick grep for MacPorts search paths suggests that some libraries
>> are missing in the change.  If this is on purpose, please reflect
>> this in the description.
>
> libxml2, libxslt, and libexslt are all installed as part of Xcode,
> which is required to use Homebrew and compile anything on macOS.

This raises a question whether we need to test it for MacPorts as well,
which also requires SDK.  Obviously, it is out of scope of this patch.

> I'll ship update patch in a moment.
>
>> Apple Silicon is something from the marketing language,
>> using Apple ARM instead should be fine.
>>
>> Notably, Homebrew uses Hardware::CPU.arm Ruby language boolean
>> to make the distinction.
>
> There is no such thing as "Apple ARM".
>
> The official documentation uses the term "Apple silicon" [3],
> Homebrew refers to the supported platform as "Apple Silicon" [4],
> and Wikipedia has an article about "Apple silicon" [5].

Thank you for clarification.

>> Further, given the smooth decay on Intel-based hardware,
>> I'd reduce this just to "Homebrew".
>
> But that would be misleading, seeing that the new code path doesn't do
> anything for Homebrew on Intel.
>
> And then, there is Homebrew on Linux [6].

Given all the above argumentation, it makes sense
to push the patch just as is.