On Nov 30, 2016, at 5:09 PM, steve wrote:

> Well, no as I've fixed this. However, if you have a probe for site x on
> https: and it doesn't exist, then the default https site for that IP address
> will be returned. Depending on configuration, it may still be attributed to
> the original search domain. I don't understand why people keep trying to
> shoot me down on this!

This isn't describing a problem with search engines -- you mis-configured
nginx, and it is serving content for the default site on both an IP address and
domain because you don't have a failover properly configured.

Adding certificates to other domains won't solve this, because you don't have a
default behavior.

Stop serving content on the IP address, and you won't have a problem anymore.

Create an initial default server for failover on the ip address, and have it
400 everything.  Do it for http and https.   For https you can use a
self-signed cert; it doesn't matter as you only need to be a valid protocol.

    # failover http server
        server {
                         listen 80 default_server;
                         server_name _;
                         location / { return 400 "redirect expected\n"; }
        }
    # failover https server
        server {
                         listen 443 default_server;
                         server_name _;
                         location / { return 400 "redirect expected\n"; }

                         ssl on;
                        # a self-signed cert is fine here
        }

    # configured servers