No real "vs" or "thing" IME. nginx(ssl terminator) -> varnish -> nginx works quite nicely.

There's also Varnish's terminator, Hitch, as an alternative,

Sure in general there is no problem offloading varnish (done it with nginx / stud / haproxy / hitch / h2o .. etc and still running several setups).

But again depends on your needs and willingness to deal with larger software stack (that's why I said it's another topic) as you end up with 2+ moving parts (which have their own configuration / own resources / network buffers / sockets / timeouts etc) but obviously there are things which one does better than other (and vice versa).

I just added it because you initially asked to comment on "nginx-native" approach (if we can consider a third-party (in non-commercial version) module as native) ;)

p.s. for some time varnish has http2 support .. maybe at some point in future either openssl gets cleaned-up/rewritten enough for them to link with it or they find some good-enough alternative :)

rr