I'm working on a simple project to reproduce the problem.  It won't
quite compile because of various other little bits and pieces I don't
have, but it should hopefully give you an idea of what we are dealing
with.

First, the unit test that reproduces the problem:

http://pastebin.com/m21cc83c1

Second, the exception that gets thrown:

http://pastebin.com/m1f79e397

Third, the highlighted line in this code is where the exception gets
tossed:

http://pastebin.com/m6ecc717

Finally, all the code...

...everything about the parent class:

Biz layer - http://pastebin.com/m5902de8c
Data layer - http://pastebin.com/m4075224
Mapping - http://pastebin.com/m520a0c49

...everything about the child class:

Biz layer - http://pastebin.com/m6ecc717
Data layer - http://pastebin.com/m79517cf4
Mapping - http://pastebin.com/m25bb74fe

...everything about the other object that has a reference to child
class:

Biz layer - http://pastebin.com/m299336a1
Data layer - http://pastebin.com/m2f4e6451
Mapping - http://pastebin.com/m404ca51e