My 82 650 also sat for a few years before I bought it and only had 8k
miles. Luckily the previous owner had enough sense to garage it, but
not enough sense to drain the tank before letting it sit. I had a
relatively expensive carb rebuild, around, and some nastiness in the
tank, and it still burns/leaks a bit of oil, and I have yet to deal
with the nasty tank, but other than that it runs flawlessly. Pulls
nicely, handles well, and shifts smoothly. I paid 650 bucks for it not
running, then put another 800 in for the carb rebuild/tune up. Not the
greatest deal in the world, but the paint/chrome is in excellent
shape. Always a good sign. Got it up to 60 on Broadway up in Harlem
today. No problems.

On Sep 20, 8:18 am, "Kyle Munz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mine had sat for 4 years when I got it, and I found that the majority of the
> problems (aside from the rusty fuel tank) were from the previous owner's
> half vast attempts at repair rather than the sitting for 4 years.
>
> -Kyle
>
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 8:34 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>
>
> > Can you all give me your thoughts on buying a night hawk 650 that
> > hasn't run in 5 years but has been stored indoors, and only has 6K
> > miles. I know the obvious about a new battery and  a carb rebuild and
> > other general maintenance, I am just wondering about all the things
> > inside the engine housing, clutch, starter,stator,slave cylinder, the
> > engine innerds, and all that stuff I can't think of. Will it all come
> > back with some careful maintenance and care? I have an 84 650 w/25K
> > miles with many new parts now which I love and seems to run great. I
> > have only had it since this spring. It needed a lot when I got it.
> > This other one just came up and the low mileage seemed like it might
> > be worth a shot. Thanks for your thoughts
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to