I'm assuming you mean the main gears that transmit power from the
crankshaft to the clutch.  The clutch basket with the large gear can
be easily replaced but I'm not sure what he intends to do about the
crank gear.  I haven't seen that particular crankshaft but they are
usually part of the crankshaft, shrunk fit on at the foundry.  Ask him
how he can repair that.  The motor needs to be torn down, you
definitely don't want pieces floating around in there.  At the very
least the cases will need to be separated to clean out any remaining
metal shavings\pieces.  The main-shaft and crankshaft bearings need to
be checked to make sure that wasn't the cause and make sure they
weren't damaged during the lockup (the connecting rod\pistons should
be checked as well).  A seizure under power like that is very hard on
engine components.

In short the motor can be rebuilt but it will need a lot of work and
in your case that means money.  Until I understand how he is going to
repair the gear on the crank I can't say yea or nay on the first
mechanic.  Keep in mind he would likely split the cases and remove the
crankshaft to preform whatever repair he does and would clean out any
debris and could be asked to check the bearings.  The second
mechanic's option would work but is expensive like you know.  There is
a third option and the one I would likely use in this case.  Look
around, see if you can find a running engine or parts bike with a good
motor to swap in.  As long as the guts of the donor motor are good you
can just swap missing components like the carbs, starter, or even the
entire head over from your current damaged motor.  You could even
bring your mechanic a damaged engine and as long as the crank is still
good he can just swap that.  Your dad is right and wrong, any
remaining teeth\metal pieces need to be cleaned out from the motor but
that's not worth junking it over.  Even as is the motor is still worth
quite a bit to someone else as I just explained.

I hope that helps, ask if you have any more questions,

Matt