Most motorcycle engines don't have a removable oil pan that you can
drop to access the crankshaft bearings and oil pump.  Instead the
entire crankcase, oil sump and all is cast in two separate pieces and
held together with bolts.  Cut into these two halves are spaces for
the crankshaft, transmission shaft, and accessory shaft bearings and
their assorted oil seals and control levers.  To access any of these
components the cases need to be separated which is a royal pain
because you have to remove everything that runs between the two halves
(generator, oil pump, shift linkage, ect).  Here is a diagram of your
bike, scroll over to Crankcase to get an idea of what I'm yapping
about.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1984-honda-motorcycle-cb700sc-nighthawk-700/o/m9660#sch402190

As for the picture, I see now.  I thought the damage was much worse,
hard to believe that little bit cased a seizure.  If he's a good
machinist he can just weld some new metal into the damaged area and
cut the teeth back to shape with a gear cutter.  But that's rather
involved and few people know how to do it anymore.  Again find out how
he is going to repair it.