Paul, what you describe happens to my 2003 Nighthawk 750 if I let it sit
for more than a week without starting it.  It even happens to me after
having my carbs cleaned, rebuilt, and synchronized.  I do two things to
combat this:

1. Whenever possible, I use ethanol-free fuel.  I use my Nighthawk 750 for
long trips, so sometimes this means looking online and planning my fuel
stops at stations that sell ethanol-free gasoline.

2. Don't let it sit for more than a week without starting it.  Even if
you're only starting it for five minutes, you're putting fresh fuel in the
bowls to help prevent the floats from sticking.

Here is what I recommend to fix the problem:

If knocking on the carbs with a screwdriver handle doesn't knock the floats
loose, you have two options:

1. Ride it anyway, with the gas dripping from the carbs.  Put fresh fuel in
the tank, ride it for 10 miles or so, and then shut it off.  The next
morning, everything might be just fine.

2. Strap the bike down on a trailer and take the bike for a ride around
town on the trailer.  The vibrations of the bouncing trailer will knock the
stuck floats loose.