I had this problem on my 96 750.  There is a long spring connected to your
rear break peddle.  Somehow mine got stretched so that it couldn't pull far
enough to activate the rear break light.  It's maybe 10 inches long and has
an about 2 inch long spring built into it.  Right side of the bike.  I
don't know what it looks like on the 250 but I can't imagine it's that
different.  I'll take a picture when I get to my bike after work today.

Sean